Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zeldapug

Yikes! Water Moccasin/Cottonmouth

zeldapug
18 years ago

I saw a water moccasin in my yard today, along the embankment leading down to the lake/canal in my backyard. I'm pretty sure it was a cottonmouth because it didn't retreat like most of the water snakes do. It was coiled up, sunning itself on the bank, and held its mouth open towards me when it saw me. It held its ground and didn't move. The water snakes usually make a beeline for the water. I don't mind having snakes in my yard. I have utilized many native plants and tried to create a haven for wildlife, but don't want venomous snakes around. I have two small dogs and I usually garden in shorts and barefeet. I don't want to risk a bite by a venomous snake. I don't want to harm the snake, just have him relocated to an area away from people and pets.

Critter Control charges $189/service call and an additional $79/snake (during regular business hours). After hours they charge an additional $100. I understand the risks involved, but I felt like the charges were awfully high. Any suggestions?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County