Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yikes! Water Moccasin/Cottonmouth

Posted by zeldapug z10 FL/Broward (My Page) on
Fri, May 6, 05 at 16:50

I saw a water moccasin in my yard today, along the embankment leading down to the lake/canal in my backyard. I'm pretty sure it was a cottonmouth because it didn't retreat like most of the water snakes do. It was coiled up, sunning itself on the bank, and held its mouth open towards me when it saw me. It held its ground and didn't move. The water snakes usually make a beeline for the water. I don't mind having snakes in my yard. I have utilized many native plants and tried to create a haven for wildlife, but don't want venomous snakes around. I have two small dogs and I usually garden in shorts and barefeet. I don't want to risk a bite by a venomous snake. I don't want to harm the snake, just have him relocated to an area away from people and pets.

Critter Control charges $189/service call and an additional $79/snake (during regular business hours). After hours they charge an additional $100. I understand the risks involved, but I felt like the charges were awfully high. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yikes! Water Moccasin/Cottonmouth

"I felt like the charges were awfully high" Really? I wouldn't play tag with a toxic snake for 270$.

Here is a link that might be useful: snake away test results

o

not a good mix with dogs as they (dogs) tend to look for trouble, your probably safe as long as you dont step on it.first i would try to get a positive I.D. on it.I saw one at Busch wildlife santuary in west palm,it had a very thick body and a large triangular head.try a google search.what if critter control comes out and the snake is no where to be found.you may never see it again or maybe everyday,who knows.
worst case scenario i work with a guy who would probably take to another location for $50.also have a look at the banded water snake, very similar.

o

contact bayou bob's brazos river rattlesnake ranch. he will let you know what to do with the water moccasin. he believes any good snake is a live snake. on the internet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here