o
attrecting oriole

Posted by sarahb1982 NC zone 7 (horsecrazy24_7@msn.com) on
Wed, May 31, 06 at 19:37

how can i attrect orioles and can you get theam in NC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: attrecting oriole

Cut a navel orange in half and stick it onto a tray feeder. This is the time of year when they are in New England. I can't tell you for sure if you can get them down there though.

o

I've always been unsuccessful in getting my orioles to eat oranges...I've sacrificed a lot of nice navels in the process. I've seen it done with great results elsewhere. However, this year I added a small bowl of grape jelly to the stump I usually stick the oranges on...and the orioles immediately began gobbling it up.
They also like sugar water, either from a specific oriole feeder or a modified hummingbird feeder.

o

You don't need a modified hummingbird feeder. I had them once...sigh....and they ate just fine out of my hummer feeder. In fact, I ran out and bought an oriole feeder and they ignored it!

o

They also really like tulip trees, if you're ever thinking of planting trees.

o

I have orioles nesting in my yard every year, but I can't get them to come to the feeders if my life depended on it! They ignore the oranges and the hummingbird feeder, although my mother in law has them emptying her hummingbird feeders all the time. I think I'll try the grape jelly tomorrow. Won't that attract ants though?

o

gardeningfireman, yes the jelly will attract ants, and probably a few wasps, too. That said, I had a kingbird snagging wasps yesterday at one of my bowls. I've also got a pair of catbirds dining on the jelly, and at least one of my many robins is fond of it. The orioles are still completely ignoring any oranges I offer...but they do love that grape jelly.

o

Our hummingbirds go to the the oriole feeder, and actually prefer it over their own, because they can lie on the perches, completely still, and sip the nectar.

Darlene

o

I first had orioles show up at my feeders when I planted some wallflowers - orange flower, blooms in spring. Ever since then, they've been regular spring/early summer visitors. they love the grape jelly, oranges and nectar. the oranges seem to last on the list though.

Barbi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here