Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terryr_76

difference between house and purple finch

terryr
17 years ago

I have a bird that is building a nest on top of my exterior light, just outside the kitchen door. How do you tell if it's a house finch or a purple finch? I've looked at pictures here on the net and they really look the same to me. I'm excited anyway, since it isn't the sparrows I always see :o)

Thanks,

Terry

Comments (11)

• Elly_NJ
    17 years ago

Hi Terry,

Sounds like you've got House finches. Purple finches don't breed in IL.

Purple finch:
    {{gwi:1347168}}

Basically, if you google them in images, you can see the females, too.

Good luck.

• terryr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you! With your pics, I can see the differences in the underbelly. And the purple is more stout than the house. This is the door we always go in and out of. Will it build the nest there? I kept seeing the male and what I now know was the female, landing on the light fixture on Sat. I was so surprised to see the beginnings of the nest today.

• lisa11310
    17 years ago

Terryr, I think house finches will nets about anywhere, It would be a fun experiance. I have both House and Purple here in West Michigan at times, but have not seen a nest yet.
    Lisa

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

hello and congrats on your finches. i once had a robin nest on top of our front door light. what is odd- usually when they fledge they are on the ground a couple of days (robins) yet they just flew one day. well, one took a rest first. i got the bejeepers scared out of me when i walked in the garage and the bicycle had grown eyes. there were only two babes.

• dirtgirl
    17 years ago

purples don't breed in Illinois?
    I sure never knew knew that one.
    We have had purple finches at the feeder year-round, although never in large groups. Is it possible that we have purple finches staying year-round like some of the robins do? The females are easier for me to tell apart than the males.

Here is one of my all-time favorite bird links, if it helps. Sorry-I'm computer challenged so you'll have to copy/paste this one!

http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/infocenter.html

• Elly_NJ
    17 years ago

I looked in a few places and it says PF breed north. Maybe that's changed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple finches

• Elly_NJ
    17 years ago

DG,

In the link you provided, it shows a breeding bird survey map that does not include IL (unless I am mistaken)>

Here is a link that might be useful: PF Breeding Range

• terryr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm not sure if they're going to build there now or not. It's the door we always use, so it might be too busy for them. For someone who isn't good at ID'ing birds, would you say the female looks somewhat like a sparrow?

• Elly_NJ
    17 years ago

Yes.

• terryr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well somebody's been extremely busy! I now have a nest on the outside light! Just a few pieces of what looked like straw yesterday, today a full nest. I am a little surprised that they went ahead and made the nest there, hopefully I can get some pictures when I get eggs! If I'm lucky, I can get pictures of the birds and you guys can positively ID them for me! I'm excited...lol...

Fairy, I've heard robins use the same nest year after year if not removed. Did they come back?

Oh and hey dirtgirl...put your link down here where you reply in the spot where it says Optional Link URL: then just give it whatever name you'd like below. Easy.

Terry

Here is a link that might be useful: dirtgirls fav bird link

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

hello terry. no, we didnt have a robins nest so far this year. last year either. i have lost track of time and have realized it was at least 3 years ago! but, this is finally the year we don't have a robin bumping the garage window all day, perch on the fence, thump, perch, thump, perch, thump....that one definitely came back a few years in a row!

we did have wrens nesting out back last year.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler