Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First loss in my new little pond

Posted by catherinet z5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 3, 06 at 20:20

Hi all,
Recently, I put a 300 gallon Rubbermaid stocktank in the back yard, for lotus, lilies and marginals. I worried about some little animal falling in and drowning, so until my plants grow bigger, I set 2 plastic milk crates in there. That way, if something fell in, they could hold onto that, until I could rescue them. Well, tonight I found a little drowned mouse. I felt soooooooooo bad. they just don't have the sense to try a different part of the pond. Poor little fella. :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First loss in my new little pond

It is never easy to find something dead in the pond-we have found a dead bird in ours before. I put in some rough rocks on the little shelves so that they are sitting a couple of inches above the water, yet they slope a bit so birds can drink.

o

Hi putzer,
I have a 300 gallon stocktank that I've sunk into the ground. It doesn't have shelves. I'm glad for that, since hopefully the coons will leave things alone....but they would be nice for the little guys who fall in. I wonder if pieces of styrofoam would work, until the plants get big enough for them to hold onto.......like little life preservers?

o

I don't think styrofoam would work-it would be hard for anything to climb up onto. Maybe someone in the Ponds & Aquatic Plants forum would have more ideas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here