Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sydneylanier

Ground hog/Woodchucks - should I be worried?

sydneylanier
18 years ago

I live next to a BIG lake with a couple of streams/creeks on either side of a 2 acre property. About 2 years ago we saw one ground hog/woodchuck about 2-3 evenings in a row and then he/she was gone. Day before yesterday we saw another ground hog/woodchuck out foraging in the front yard. I have read that they eat grasses, clover, etc. How concerned do I need to be with regards to azaleas, daylilies, grapes/muscadines? So far I don't have a problem with General Lee/Pux' Phil....do I need to be on the lookout or just enjoy his company? The stream/creekside area is very well covered and protected - sort of our 'gone wild' area. I read about these animals in my wildlife encyclopedia info. and it didn't tell me much if anything regarding behavior of these critters. He/She can have all the clover, grass, etc. they want - daylilies, hostas, grapes, azaleas - nyet. Anybody out there with experience, especially zone 7 Georgia?

Comments (11)

• jillmcm
    18 years ago

Our groundhogs tend to like boltonia, rudbeckia and echinacea - I don't have any of the plants you mention. I think if you start seeing damage that you may want to spray your plants with invisible fence or a similar product. Otherwise, just enjoy. We still like ours, even when he's a busy nibbler!

• Elly_NJ
    18 years ago

I lived for years with a family of woodchucks, and never had problems. The deer ate everything, though.

• dragonthoughts
    18 years ago

didn't it get crowded in the burrow elly?
    My folks have woodchucks out back and they haven't hassled any of their daylilies.

• Elaine_NJ6
    18 years ago

In addition to the genera mentioned above, woodchucks also love liatris and certain asters and sunflowers. Boltonia seems to be their number-one favorite, however.

We've got a woodchuck this year for the first time in a few years--it found an abandoned burrow. I'm hoping it's a male.

• sydneylanier
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input. I thought he/she was awfully cute and was hoping he wasn't going to be a nuisance. Turns out we haven't seen him since but that doesn't mean he isn't there ... there's lots of hiding places in the underbrush, snags for burrows etc. So far I like him better than the rabbits - who are very cute but also very hungry - and they LOVE hostas!

• Elly_NJ
    18 years ago

Dragonthought,

: )

• wardw
    18 years ago

You'll change your tune if he hanges around. As long as you don't try to grow veggies you should be OK, but they are hell on corn, peas, bean, melons, and quite a few flowers. After two years of pitched battle, I'm wondering why congress didn't authorize funding for the neutron bomb. Three years ago before they wised up, I trapped 13 in a havaheart trap in two months.

• jillhudock
    18 years ago

I share my property with groundhogs, and they nibble at things but rarely eat things to the ground. They also LOVE dandelions and eat the yellow flowers before they turn to seed. I love watching my groundhog move from dandelion to dandelion as if I put them out there just for him!

of course, my veggies are completely fenced, so they can not get in there.

• bulldinkie
    18 years ago

Our Jack russell was trained just for ground hog hunting.She got one in the longhorn pasture last night.It was almost as big as her.When they start digging look out.At the edge of our property is a rock pile its a ground hog city in there so many holes.Im thinking of getting another russell.Theyre a comical animal to watch ha ha.

• Flowerkitty
    18 years ago

They sure are cute. See this groundhog lovers site

Here is a link that might be useful: Hog Haven

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

I haven't see "Dr Phil" since my neighbor's neighbor got a cat who I am constantly chasing out of my yard ! the cat not Dr Phil Sarah{{gwi:1345630}}