Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elaine_nj6

everyone's too busy gardening to post messages

Elaine_NJ6
20 years ago

I've put in over 100 shrubs and perennials in the past week. With a large order from Cold Stream Farm, plus a small one from Solomon Holly Farm (both excellent quality), we created a new hedgerow out of a strip of lawn on one side of the front yard. I also added to my prairie gardens with a medium-size order from Prairie Nursery (also excellent), plus divided a number of prairie plants to fill in bare spots and get rid of some overexuberant asters that have been taking over the entire gardens. I assume that everyone else is busy planting now too, and that's why there are so few posts on this forum lately! What have you all been planting?

Comments (63)

• Elaine_NJ6
    Original Author
    20 years ago

All my bare-root shrubs, including the witchhazel, came from Cold Stream Farm in Wisconsin (www.jackpine.com) or 231-464-5809. I ordered over 90 plants from them, and all but maybe 3 or 4 are healthy (I'm about to contact them about those few plants). I've ordered several times in the past too. The plants are small but healthy and cheap. The only drawback is the limited number of species offered--only 3 different viburnums, for example. But it's a very small operation--when they receive your order, you get a handwritten thank-you postcard! I could not recommend them more highly--as long as you're willing to start small and wait a couple of years for results.

• newyorkrita
    20 years ago

Well, rain again so no gardening today. I think it rained everday this week except Monday and Tuesday. Supposed to clear up on Monday and Tuesday again this week.

Today I am bored and stuck inside so here I am on the computer. But last week I did get two new garden beds in by laying the stonework so now I have the structure in. I have these way in the back of my house, in front of an area I put my Count Polaski and Winterthur Viburnums. Then I want to put Serviceberries in front of the Viburnums and Blueberries in front of the Serviceberries. Will wait until next spring to get the blueberries bareroot but I did not get them this spring because I knew I would not get to the garden beds until summer.

• richardzone7maryland
    20 years ago

I had been buying a lot of plants for my yard but with all the rain we have been getting I couldn't get them in the ground. I resorted to planting some them in the rain. Finally, yesterday it stopped raining long enough for me to plant the rest. Mostly different types of milkweed, I am trying to attract butterflies to the yard. As soon as I finished I went out and bought some more flowers - hollyhocks, butterfly weed, swamp milkweed and red hot poker.

Richard

• newyorkrita
    20 years ago

I have so much to plant after my trip to Peconic River Herb Farm at the end of Long Island yesterday, I don't know where to start. Bought more Red Sprite Winterberries to go with the little 'grove' I started last year. Then two Black Beauty Elderberries to fix my no pollination Elderberry problems. Then a bunch of somewhat small Regent Serviceberry shrubs to put in the new garden bed towards the back of the property. Should keep me planting awhile.

And now its finially turned hot, more as summer would be expected, so I have to water the last bunch of shrubs I put in and will have to water all these all summer to make sure they settle in well. The stuff I put in early this spring, I think I only had to water once or twice but so much rain, not surprised.

• newyorkrita
    20 years ago

The new Regents I bought are all planted and the bed is nicely finished. I also spent all last week, hot as it was, planting my Elderberries, two purple coneflower plants I had from my nursery trips, six plants of Little Bluestem grass just waiting to be planted and, of course, the Red Sprite Winterberries from last Monday.

What a job they were. I am planting them on a steep hill, so that's what made it difficult, plus it was so darn hot. Then to top it off, on four of the plants the soil fell off the root balls as soon as I pulled the plants out of the pots. I was worried about that but apparently no harm. One of the Red Sprites just got planted much too close to another, in spite of my placing stakes to plan out where the planting holes were to be. So I had to dig another hole next to the original hole and replant the shrub. UGH!!! So that one got planted twice. Yeck. So anyway, I still have one more to do as I haven't finished the last one.

Then today, I planted a chinese holly and the last of the Viburnum setigerum shubs I had ordered this spring. The others were planted by late May but this one sat in its pot until I could get that area of the yard cleaned up. Had to whack back an ugly Forcythia shrub. Going to remove it totally as soon as I get to it.

Unfortunately, I still am not done as I still have things I potted up in spring sitting there waiting until their planting spot gets other yucky weeds dug up. But fortunately, there's not much left. Trouble with planting in the summer (and I know this from planting last Summer) is that you have to water everyday or things just can't get established. My Winterthur Viburnum I planted afew weeks ago I have to water twice a day (large shrub in dry location) and will have to continue all summer. By next year, I am sure its roots will spread out. Thats what I get for buying a 7 gallon size but I just could not resist it!!!!

• newyorkrita
    20 years ago

Well since I bought more shrubs last week, I am doing more planting this week.

Yesterday I planted my 'Blue Muffin' Viburnum but I had to dig out some old and dead currant shrubs to do that. Then lots of mulching in that area but it looks nice. Today I planted a Clethra 'Hokie Pink'. I already have 'Ruby Spice' and Hummingbird' but I think this one is the prettiest of them all. Like all the Clethra's, it smells divine.

I have the hole dug for the 'Shasta" Doublefile Viburnum but a small rain shower sent me inside for afew minutes. Thats why I am at the computer. I still have the "Northern Burgandy' to plant and then a large (to me) 8 foot Crabapple 'Indian Summer'.

Well, rain shower is over so back to planting.

• newyorkrita
    20 years ago

Yikes, the planting never stops. I got my hugh Crabapple planted. Then last week I did finially get my 'Otto Luyken' Cherry laurels planted and then, on Saturday, I got my three Nanking Cherries planted that I had ordered bare root this Spring and potted up because the place I intended to plant them was not ready for planting. Now I only have one species Arrowwood Viburnum to plant that I bought afew weeks ago to hopefully cross pollinate with the two I have.

I thought I'd never get this stuff in. Of course, I do have little things in pots that I am growing out this year until they get larger to set in the garden. I am not counting those when I say I am done!!! :-))

If only I can get past the fall planting season without getting more shrubs.

• newyorkrita
    20 years ago

What am I the only crazy person still planting? Today I finished planting the Black Aronia I had gotten from Oikos Tree Crops last week. Planted some but didn't finish as the weather has been rainey. I have a Fall order coming from ForestFarm that should be here any day now as I got a post card from them stating it had been shipped last Wednesday. So there will be more planting.

I had made my last trip of the year to my favorite East End Long Island Nursery last week and planted some Spicebush, more Black Aronia, and some Winterberries.

• christie_sw_mo
    20 years ago

I'm going to be sad when you run out of room Rita! It's gotta happen soon. You've been going at a fast pace. lol
    I hope the birds appreciate all you've done.

• newyorkrita
    20 years ago

Nope, not running out of room soon. Have LOTS more to do planned. Should take at least two more years, probably more.

For sure the Catbirds appreciate the berries around here as they have been working on eating up the berries from the vining honeysuckle, pokeweeds and Arrowwood Viburnum.

• Elaine_NJ6
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I am planning on extending the hedgerow across part of the front end of the lawn in the spring, plus extending the shady wildflower garden into a sunnier area and adding some prairie forbs and grasses. I have all winter to study catalogs and dream.

• vonyon
    20 years ago

Elaine: Can you give me the names of a few of your favorite catalogs? Since I am new at this, I am not on any mailing lists. I would rather get some suggestions from someone like you that has ordered before. Thanks

• newyorkrita
    20 years ago

Soon it will be time for the orders from the catogs for shrubs to start arriving. Can't wait for gardening season to start. Another really great thing to look forward to is to see how all the shrubs and trees planted in the last two years are growing and blooming. Should be lots more berries for the birds here than ever before this year.

• Elaine_NJ6
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I did not do any planning or ordering this winter. No money, no time. Too much stuff going on. I wish I had, but it's probably too late to order now.

I order almost everything from Cold Stream Farm in Wisconsin: www.jackpine.com. They sell very cheap, very small, but very healthy bare-root trees and shrubs. Mostly natives, but not all, so be careful. Miller is also good, and so is Solomon Holly Farm. For native perennials and grasses, perennials, stick with Prairie Nursery, also in Wisconsin: www.prairienursery.com. Can't go wrong.

• vonyon
    20 years ago

Elaine: Thanks so much. I'll definitely check those out. I have been pretty busy here also. The NH nursery breaks their catalog into native and non-natives. The stuff they sell is mostly native to NH. I live on the border, so for all practical purposes, it is the same. I hope it isn't too late to order now! I have ordered from NH Nursery, but I have several other things that I still want to get. I also want some serviceberries and inkberry and winterberry and more viburnums. Hope things slow down for you soon. I have missed seeing you post.

• bulldinkie
    20 years ago

Its been down below freezing this week down to 20s at night.Im hoping to get in flower beds this weekend its to be close to 70.

• terryr
    20 years ago

Hey Elaine, I went to www.jackpine.com and it's some mail order place for business supplies...

• vonyon
    20 years ago

Terry: I had the same problem, but here is the link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Cold Stream Farm

• terryr
    20 years ago

Thanks vonyon....that link works great!
    Terry

• newyorkrita
    20 years ago

Well, bareroot and mail order season is here. I planted my Winter Honeysuckle Thursday and Red Aronia today. Stil waiting on my blueberries that are scheduled for next week. I also have some dwarf ground cherries and more Nanking cherries coming from St. Lawrence Nursery.

Of course I manage to bring home shrubs from the local nurseries. I bought a V. bodnantense 'Dawn' at the local Home Depot and still need to plant that. Home depot had Azeleas for $4.98 too so I couldn't get past them and bought 'Hershey Red', 'Stewartstonian' and an unidentified double light lilac colored Azelea. I had seen 'Stewartstonian' in the pricey nursery for $45.00 so I was very pleased with myself. The $45.00 plants were alittle larger but not $45.00 worth larger for sure. I also got an Azelea 'Rosebud' all at Home Depot.

I know some people claim that the discount box stores have lousey merchandise but I find that not to be true. If a plant is in bad shape I just don't buy it. But I get so many bargains there and everything I have bought was grown well.

About the only wildlife value to the Azaleas is nectar for hummers from the flowers and cover for bug hunting for little birds but they look wonderful when they bloom in the spring.

• newyorkrita
    19 years ago

Man, I am pooped. Planted all my annual bedding Salvias and Marigold plants between yesterday and today.

My order from Nourse Farms (a berry nursery) came yesterday so I planted my 5 itsy bitsey teeny weeny (1 to 3 inch tall) Black Raspberry plants and the Honnonmaki Red Gooseberry.

Then today I planted the nine Blueberry plants. The Blueberries are top notch plants, all over 2 feet and multibranched and most are around 30 inches. They call them bare root plants but they came with roots wrapped in lots of growing medium attached and then each plant root ball was seperately wrapped in saran wrap.

I already have Blueberries. In fact they are flowering now but never enough to please me between myself and the Catbirds eating on them. Nine more plants should make us both happy! I know birds like to eat Blackberies and Raspberries also but I really got the Black Raspberries for me but I know I will be sharing with the birds.

I am still waiting on my Nanking and Dwarf Ground Cherries from St. Lawrence Nursery. I am also getting 6 Blackberry plants coming mid May from Raintree Nursery.

• Elaine_NJ6
    Original Author
    19 years ago

How can I get in touch with Nourse Farms? I want gooseberries.

• newyorkrita
    19 years ago

Here is the link below for Nourse Farms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nourse Farms

• newyorkrita
    19 years ago

Another place to get Gooseberries is Whitman Farms which was recommended to me on Gardenweb. I have never ordered from them but they have an impressive list of Gooseberries.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whitman Farms

• vonyon
    19 years ago

Ok, I want to know how you all with small lots fit all these huge numbers of shrubs on your property. I have a huge border than I'm trying to fill and I feel as though I never have enough room. I'm expanding into the meadow with all the shrub dogwoods. How far apart do you space your plants? I can't seem to find much on that. I'm putting v. trilobum about 4-5 feet apart and v. dentatum and v. recognitum about 8 feet apart. I have a rather deep border and was afraid that I would have them too close together, but would love some advice on spacing. In some areas, the border is wide enough to support 2 or 3 rows of this spacing.

• newyorkrita
    19 years ago

Vonyon-- The secret of success is to take a look at all the lawn on ones property and then just start replacing it with garden beds and shrub borders. Three years ago I had lots of lawn but now half of it is gone, replaced by shrubs and other plantings.

• vonyon
    19 years ago

Well, then I have a lot of shrubs to plant! I'd love to not have to mow most of it. That is my goal. How far apart to you put the shrubs that I mention?

• Elaine_NJ6
    Original Author
    19 years ago

V. trilobum 4-5 feet apart sounds good--it spreads fairly wide and lower branches often root. V. dentatum is much narrower--branches go straight up (hence the popular name "arrowwood") and few suckers. Don't know V. recognitum.

The shrub digwoods, especially C. racemosa, sucker enthusiastically. If you put them 3-4 feet apart you'll soon have a solid row. Then you can start digging up suckers to fill in elsewhere.

• vonyon
    19 years ago

Elaine: Good to have you back. I noticed you didn't post much for a while. Thanks for the info on the dentatum. I think I spaced them out further. I was worried about the depth of the border not allowing enough air movement in through the plants and figured maybe that is why they were suggesting such wide spacing. I have a few more coming, so I'll just put them in between. I do have the shrub dogwoods growing wild and I love the look of the hedge they create. I have been able to mow them down with a bush hog and they come back even nicer. I dug up a bunch last year in the fall and they made it through the winter believe it or not. Sounds like I will have a nice hedge in the meadow when I'm done I think (provided I can keep deer away from them while they are small). Do you have any suggestions for deer repellant or would I be better off to construct a temp fence around this border for a year or two? I don't have tons of deer, but enough to do some damage.

According to Dirr, V. recognitum is another of the dentatum-type. He claims that V. molle (Kentucky viburnum) and V. recognitum (Northern Arrowwood) are just the same plant basically from different areas. The leaves are similar. The recognitum looks more heart-shaped. I ordere 2 v. molle from Pine Ridge though and the leaves look quite different. There is not serration and the leaves are quite a bit softer. But he says to envision them all as the same basic plant from different parts of their range. Since I'm totally new at this, I rely on his books for my info....I'm assuming it is fairly accurate.

• vonyon
    19 years ago

Rita and Elaine: I just got this wonderful tool from Musser Forests. It is called a planting bar. Do you have one? I can't get over how great it is. My husband just tried it out and he got 10 shrub dogwoods planted in less than 1/2 an hour. It says that a person can plant 1000 bare roots in a day and I believe it. Once he practices a little, I'm sure he can make much better time. It may be more useful for us because we are planting them directly into a meadow, but I just thought I'd mention it.

• newyorkrita
    19 years ago

Yes, I have one. Wish I had saved my money instead of buying it. I tried it and went back to using my shovel. The shovel was much easier and worked better for me.

• vonyon
    19 years ago

Rita: I figured that you probably aren't planting in the same kind of area. If you are cutting through meadow grass, it works wonderful.

• Elaine_NJ6
    Original Author
    19 years ago

When I plant bareroot plants, I do not dig a hole--I make a slit with a spade or trowel, depending on the length of the roots. I stick the roots in, stamp hard all around to firm the soil against the roots, and move on to the next plant. At the end, I water everything in well.

• newyorkrita
    19 years ago

My order came from St. Lawrence Nurseries this afternoon and I just planted three more Red Nanking Cherries and four Dwarf Ground Cherries. I was just getting worried that my order was lost or something and here it is! Beautiful quality plants, as usual from St. Lawrence! As everything is dormant and not leafed out yet, I can always hope for afew blossoms this year but it's most likely wishful thinking.

It seems to me that the Black Nanking Cherries bloom and set fruit younger than the Reds. My Red had afew blossoms this year but the Black Nankings were loaded in Blossoms. I planted them both last year and they are about the same size. I seem to recall that the Black Nankings had a sprinkling of Blossoms last year too.

I think the Black Nanking Cherries are setting fruit even though the Red and Black I have didn't exactly bloom at the same time. Anyway, time will tell. I really want to get some fruit on them as I am very anxious to taste a Nanking Cherry for myself.

I had to stop my Raspberry Bed making to plant the bare root shrubs but that's OK. So now I am going back to setting out beds for the Raspberries and I am also putting in a bed of Everbearing Strawberries.

The Strawberries are on order because I just ordered them. I know its late to plant Strawberries but still, not too late and I only got the idea afew days ago. Been hanging out on the Fruit and Orchard Forum to learn about Raspberries and ask questions there. Of course, I got into trouble by reading all the Strawberry Threads and decided I had to have some Strawberries this year!

• vonyon
    19 years ago

Elaine, that is about what this tool does is make a slit. You put it in the ground at about 45 degrees and then you move it up to perpendicular to the ground. So you are left with a wedge shaped slit. You shove the roots in and then you put the thing in about 2 inches from the first 45 degree slit. You push the 2" of earth up to squeeze the roots in the soil and then do the same again to complete the process. It's just nice and heavy and cuts the soil quite easily. We also have a serated roofing shovel that we have been using, which works pretty well, but this seems to work better. It reminds me of the way the woman that wrote Noah's Garden suggested to plant bare roots.

• newyorkrita
    19 years ago

I finially got the Azaleas planted that I had sitting around in pots for afew weeks. Got them earlier this Spring at Home Depot. I put them in a row in front of the mostly Viburnum Shrub Boarder I did last year. Planted them close together so that they will fill in a do a hedge look. They already look wonderfull. Was just admiring them and the whole boarder a little while ago. I can't believe how much it has filled in from just last Spring, when it was started.

I still have an order coming from Raintree as I did two orders this Spring. Thats what happens when you get things and decide you need to get something else. The last from Raintree was thornless Blackberries but I have lots of doubts whether the plants will grow, they got brown after planting instead of greening up. Anyway, Purple Raspberries and Summer Red Raspberrries, and three fruit trees are in the order I am waiting on. (Surecrop sour Cherry, Tomcot Hardy Apricot and Resi no spray Apple).

I got my order from Edible Landscaping and have two more Red Gooseberries to plant and my Kiowa Black Raspberry. Yikes! It feels like I have been planting forever but it hasn't been that long really from sitting around in the Winter wishing Spring planting season would come.

• newyorkrita
    19 years ago

Lately, I have been doing garden projects that needed attention. I used bags and bags and bags of bagged leaves saved from fall to heavily mulch all my garden beds after giving them a good weeding. Just started on one side of the yard and kept going in the garden beds. I use hardwood mulch in my perrenial beds but use the bagged leaves in all my other gardens, including the veggie garden. The leaves are free in the Fall, so the price is right and I really like the look of the mulched areas, kind of woodsey looking. Attracts lots of birds and animals to pick thru the leaf litter for bugs and worms!

Then I had to dig some small terraces in an area off Azelea Hill so I can plant there more easily and all the rainwater won't fall downhill before the plants get it. I still have more work to do on that project but its coming along nicely.

• newyorkrita
    19 years ago

It's a Winter Wonderland after the large snowfall we had this past weekend. At least it's bright and sunny today. I have been looking at all my garden catalogs to get my gardening fix. Not much else one can do for the garden in the middle of winter. Spring should be great though and I can't wait to see all my shrubs bloom that I have been planting for the past few years!

• Elaine_NJ6
    Original Author
    19 years ago

My winter gardening task is watching the birds eat the sruff I've planted for them. Can't seem to get up much enthusiasm for planting this year, although I just talked my husband into letting me put in some shrubs in the one remaining sunny spot in the front. My quarter acre is getting crowded.

• vonyon
    19 years ago

Elaine: The only sane solution for you is to move then!! ;o) I will miss you posting what you are doing. I have learned so much from you. All I can say to you is lucky you for being able to see the "fruits" of your labor. Mine is still too young. It is hard to be patient.

• Elaine_NJ6
    Original Author
    19 years ago

It only takes three or four years for a native planting to come into its own. And if you plant a serviceberry, you will get results the following spring.

• vonyon
    19 years ago

Elaine, that is good to know. I planted a lot of serviceberries last year. Now, I'm hoping the deer don't find them all. With all this snow on the ground, they'll be looking for something to eat.

• newyorkrita
    19 years ago

It depends on which kind. My Regent Serviceberries started flowering and fruiting at a much younger age than any of the other types I have. Plus they just produce more flowers and fruit. The youngest Regent Serciceberries here, small shubs with very few suckers, have way more flowers and fruit than the Honeywood and Smokeys I also planted afew years ago.

• terryr
    18 years ago

So.....Elaine, where did you go?

• newyorkrita
    18 years ago

Is it my imagination or did this forum used to be alot more busy? I know I shouldn't complain as I have not been on all winter but it just seems so slow.

• newyorkrita
    18 years ago

I sure have been busy. Today my shrub fruit order from Nourse Farms arrived and I planted 2 Red Currants, 2 Red Gooseberries and 12 More Blueberry Plants. Now in case anyone thinks this has nothing to do with attracting wildlife, birds absolutely LOVE Blueberries. Every year when the Blueberries are ripe there is a never ending batch of Robins, Orioles, Mockingbirds, Catbirds and whatever eating on the berries just as they do on the serviceberries when they start to get ripe.

I really planted the blueberries for me to eat but willing to share.

I had a red Gooseberry that had fruit for the first time last year and I tasted some and really liked it. Just wasn't quite ripe enough. I figgured I would wait two days and pick the fruit. Well, when I went next day, every single one of the berries was gone overnight. Some critter ate them before I got to them so I guess Red Gooseberries attract wildlife too!

• loris
    18 years ago

newyorkrita,

Unfortunately the lower traffic on this forum as well as many others isn't your imagination. There have been periods in the past when things have gotten quiet, and times members have left when upset about actions by Spike. This time though I think the number of members permanently gone is higher. This was in reaction to changes in policy and advertising carried that I-Village implemented, as well as a short period when the technical problems the site had were extreme (there was one weekend I thought I felt like about the only one who was answering any posts. Later found out many people could not login do to mixed case usernames).

On the brighter side, it's good to see you posting again, traffic has picked up from its low point, we've gotten some interesting new members, and I've seen some good threads both here and on the natives forum.

Lori

• newyorkrita
    18 years ago

Lori - Unlike some who were upset with I village, I did not leave Gardenweb. I don't care for the ads either but realize that things change in life so I just ignore the darn things. I was just very busy with work all winter. Not that I couldn't find time to check the forum but it was winter and I was not thinking of gardening so I didn't. Its sping, I am in full garden mode again, so I am back posting messages.

• Msrpaul
    18 years ago

newyorkrita,

I had a beautiful blueberry, and when the berries ripened, I decided to make blueberry pancakes.....so I waited one more day. When the next day came, every blueberry was gone, and a beautiful male cardinal was singing a proud little song...."see what I got, See what I got"....

It was a fair deal. I figure I'll plant so many I'll have to wind up with some!

• newyorkrita
    18 years ago

I post on the Fruit and Orchards forum and the people over there are forever taking about the best ways to net blueberries so the birds don't eat them all. I know that when I was first looking into bird attracting berries no one ever mentioned blueberries but the birds go nuts over them. Anyway, before I planted the 12 new blueberries I already had about 20 in my yard but many of those are not mature so only afew are giving fruit. I just kept planting more blueberries so that there might be enough for everyone. When these two newer batches of Blueberry shrubs mature, there surely should be enough.

I like to go out in the morning and eat ripe blueberries straight off the shrubs. So far there has never been enough to actually pick some to bring inside.

Good timing on my planting as it raining today so they should get a good soaking, along with the hardy and fragrant lily bulbs I planted this week and lots of rose shrubs because they are pretty.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting