Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

How can I ATTRACT crows ?

toomuchglass
12 years ago

Yes -- you read right ! I want to feed and have crows in my yard ! I live in Wisconsin - in the city . I see some hovering around .. but I want to draw them in . I'm probably in the minority ... but I know they are so smart & I'd like to see them in action . Will they come to a raised tray full of stuff they love ? I'm thinking fat,suet,peanuts,maybe some canned dogfood -->stuff that looks like roadkill ~ LOL

Any ideas ? This is the first time I've been to this forum ........... thank you sooo much !

Kathy

Comments (45)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

I like that roadkill look idea, that may work. A fake owl used for scaring birds might bring crows in just to dive bomb it, I know it worked for cooper hawks by a neighbor of mine.

tj

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great Idea !!! I have a deer hide with fur that I can cut little scraps out of ---- put that right next to some fat & I think that would look like a good invitation to dinner ! Thanks :)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Don't put the lid on your full garbage can, leave your garage door open, toss a few fast food bags in the yard, big bowls of dry dog food will attract them, too.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    12 years ago

HA Rhizo!
    If she follows your advice (which I guess was half in jest), Kathy should attract every other kind of scavenging critter too.
    Rats are particularly amusing to listen to in the walls and on the roof in the wee hours of the night ....every night!
    Min

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Min, believe it or not, my comments were entirely based on my own personal observation of their usual behavior. They will tear open garbage bags and strew the contents all over the place; I used to watch them enter my neighbor's garage to steal rags, wrenches, a dog collar, etc. Another neighbor was feeding the crows at the same time as her dog...and the birds flew over to MY birdbath to dunk their little treats.

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We have garbage bag bandits --- raccoons ! They make such a mess , we have to keep our garbage in till the day of collection . I guess it'll be a guessing game -- who shows up first at my feeding spot .

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    12 years ago

maybe you could put some goodies that the crows might like, up on a shed roof or porch roof and hope that the crows see them there. the crows should finish eating before the raccoons show up after dark.

i do understand why you want to watch them- they are very smart fascinating birds. there are some science dvds about crows and ravens that are interesting. good luck, min

• bandjzmom
    12 years ago

Hey Kathy,
    Maybe you could purchase and then tear up chunks of Big Mac Hamburgers around the yard? LOL. They do seem to hang around fast food joints trying to get scraps. :o) They really are smart birds, and I can see why someone would want to observe them. I did some research and learned that they love whole peanuts, cheese, hotdogs, macaroni and cheese, and sandwich meats.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

How about a birdbath?

BTW, if 53172 is your zip code, you're in zone 5.

• terrene
    12 years ago

In the winter/early spring I throw out some tidbits for the Crows along with the usual bird feed. I will scatter the food such as old corn chips, leftover dried cat food, old bread, etc. on the ground behind the bird feeding area. Even some old sandwich meat that is turning bad. Also some black oil sunflower seed (BOSS) for the other ground feeding birds and squirrels.

I enjoy watching the Crows fly down and strut around on the ground and the Blue Jays usually love these goodies too. Like Rhizo, I have observed the Crows take corn chips and dunk them in the bird bath. Also they like to sit on the rim of my compost bin and dig in that for snacks.

I usually greatly reduce the amount of bird feeding in the summer, when natural food sources and insects are abundant. Also, right now I am putting out hardly any food because there are Baltimore Oriole's nesting in the Pin Oak right above my bird feeding area. I watched the Baltimore Oriole pair chase these 4 huge Crows out of the yard the other day. This is of course, because Crows will raid other birds' nests for the eggs and nestlings.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    12 years ago

i read the other day that we should continue feeding our birds during the time they are raising their babies and only after that time, stop until the weather begins to get cold again.

also, many birds will raid others' nests- even the smallest cutest ones do it, not just crows. nature is tough! min

• huckleberrynw
    12 years ago

I have a small plastic wading pool for my dog to play in when it's hot. I've left it out with 6" or so of water in it and I've seen crows using it like a bird bath a few times. They perch on the edge and then hop down in a bathe just like the little birds do in the traditional bird bath. It's pretty cool!

• buzzbeedd
    12 years ago

Not too long ago, I saw a PBS show "A Murder of Crows". They have amazing memories and intelligence. Chances are, if you are seeing them hanging about watching you, they already recognize you as someone that provides food. You may already attract crows.

In my experience, the crows are very wary of getting caught "stealing" the food you provide. Those that visit my yard won't tolerate any direct observation. As soon as they realize I'm watching - they leave.
    DD

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

I live in Edmonton Alberta. Up here in the Canadian north we have LOTS of crows and even more magpies. My neighbours despise them but I feed them all year round just to watch their antics. They, as well as blue jays, whiskey jacks and mynas are all of the family Corvidae and are considered some of the most intellegent birds around. Each year my feather dusters make more and often kill each others hatchlings but such is nature. The squirrels steal small birds eggs and babies just as much. Long story shorter, I feed the big guys dry cat food (soak it in the winter) , tinned cat or dog food in the winter, and just about anything edible. They eat vegies, rice, cereal, bread,oats, alfalfa pellets, sunflower seeds,peanuts, fruit, any meat or fish and get turkey and cranberries at christmas. They will tell you really fast what they don't like. I have a heavy ceramic dish on my fence and lots of fresh water close by. The crows, magpies and bluejays come to eat as soon as they leave the nest. The magpies are very noisy, especially the fledglings, and the crows are a bit more shy here but will literally talk to me and call to me to feed them. They play with the dogs in the yard and often throw food to them while they watch them eat. Don't know if you get magpies in the south but they are real comics and beautiful birds. Have at least one nest of all three corvidaes every spring. I hope you enjoy these beautiful birds as much as I do!

• bulldinkie
    12 years ago

You can come get some of mine.All they do is yell all day chasing owls,hawks,eagles.They gang up on my fruit trees eat all my peaches.

• DimeADozen
    12 years ago

You might not want them after you have them, but it really shouldn't be hard to attract them. If you plant a garden, they usually come. Maybe you can grow something just for them.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Wondering how it's going after 3 months...?

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for all your replies & stories - I loved hearing them ! In the last couple months - I've been cutting up scraps of fat & meat - and placing them in different spots around the yard. (Out of my dog's reach) I can't seem to get anything but Flies. I know there's crows around - I see one whizzing by now & then. Where there's one -- there's more. I got my DH involved in this now ... a crow feeder is the weirdest thing he's ever seen on his honey-do list. LOL Over the winter ,I want him to make a flat feeder/tray that can sit on top of our 6' high wooden fence. I want it to be made out of fine metal mesh for drainage incase it rains. It'll be shiny & easy for me to just throw scraps on top of it. Hopefully by next spring ,I'll havee a bunch of new buddies to entertain me !

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    12 years ago

kathy, you could make your feeder tray right now. get some hardware cloth at HD, use wire snips to cut in a couple of inches at the corners, bend the 4 sides up and nail it on top of the fence.
    as you can tell, i am not one to wait for help if i can do something myself- i'm way too impatient. :)
    min

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I should just do it myself . I'm like you Min ... it has to be done yesterday ..LOL.. I do tons of stuff myself - I know my way around tools ! The reason I didn't start it yet -- I didn't know if it was too late in the year .
    Do crows migrate ? Well --- I'm sure I'll attract SOMETHING if I make the feeder !! I'm off to get the Hardware cloth tomorrow !!! ;)

• hereislarry
    12 years ago

The same people that have the CROW BE GONE website also have a CD that will attract crows by the hundreds. The CD is called crow come here and it works great if you want to surround yourself with lots and lots of crows.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crow come Here

• lynn_d
    12 years ago

Do you have birdfeeders? I love the crows, I find them to be fascinating! So intelligent with such a sophisticated society! They have such a wide vocabulary, and such structure in their groups. I love them. And I love that they act as sentinels watching for hawks or danger. We just put leftovers out for them, bread, chips, spaghetti.....but we live in a very rural area and do not have rodent problems. We have skunks and raccoons that come around to eat leftovers in the evening and because the feeding station is away from our house we don't worry about it. I'm sure this might be a problem in a suburban area!

• smkymtn1drer
    12 years ago

Don't use that site, "Crow come Here." They use a distress call to bring the crows. It's horrid.

Here in the mountains, there are ravens. They will come to eat old corn left for them in the garden, but no closer. (There's a tree nearby for the guard.) Same with the crows. They know about guns. They get a little more relaxed when the jays are around. I love them all!

I've tried tying meat to twine and pulling it into a tree --nothing. But one snowy day last winter, a raven actually came to my front yard platform birdfeeder. That was awesome! I had a pic, but of course can't find it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hunters disgusted by CD

• joan754
    12 years ago

Quite a few years ago, the city that I live in (about 18,000 people), decided that crows were a menace and disease carrier (they carry west nile disease) so they went about eradicating them from the city yards. We don't see them much in the city anymore but they are out in the rural areas.

• TheCrowHunter
    11 years ago

I have to disagree with (Posted by smkymtn1drer)
    The Crow come Here Cd is amazing. I think the poster above was thinking of another CD with a similar name. The link that he is sending everyone to (Hunters disgusted by CD) where they are talking about another CD with multiple calls. Mr. smkymtn1drer the Crow come Here Cd has only one call and it's intended to attract crows in mass quantities. I understand how a bird lover wouldn't like that but as a hunter I feel the Crow come Here CD is an exceptional cd with amazing results. Wish I could send you pictures of the crow kills we've had with it. Yet for a bird lover I don't think you would like that. For now you keep hanging your meat and I will keep shooting the winged rats.

Here is a link that might be useful: CROW come HERE

• TheCrowHunter
    11 years ago

(smkymtn1drer above) A little research would have told you that your link (Hunters disgusted by CD) are talking about (JS Crow come Here) "NOT" (Crow come Here by CBG Media). It's misinformation you've given. Like they say don't believe everything you read on the internet. This is not the place to bad mouth a business you know nothing about. Now back to my progressive loader to get ready for tomorrows eradication of crows. I really have to say it's some fun shooting and they never get use to the CD. We take a 20 minute break, pick up birds, reload or change locations and let the fun start again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crow come Here by CBG Media

• Lauren Hayes
    11 years ago

I had one two summers ago visit on a regular basis when I had my bird feeder and growing multiple veggies in the garden. I also had a lot of blue jays at the time too. Last summer I only grew tomatoes and the no-mess seed blend so not a lot of jays or crows, but they are one of my favorites, especially the blue jays. They are hilarious at the bird feeder. I don't understand shooting the crows, they do a service with the road kill around here and they are prettier than the buzzards. The only ones I can stand to have a few less of are the raccoons and the tree-rats/squirrels.

• eclecticcottage
    10 years ago

Oh man I'm glad you're not my neighbor, lol. I hate crows. I had a bunch MURDER (lol, play on words) a large nest of garter snakes-they ate the whole lot, at least 100 of them. Noisy, messy, nasty things. I'll even take the 100's of starlings I have to deal with now than a few crows!

Anyway...they ARE smart. They LOVE shiny objects (hence the previous post about theft of wrenches and a dog coller which I bet had a tag on it). I'd bet hanging a bunch of shiny things (old spoons maybe?) would help get their attention. Wet cat food, small goldfish are things they like to eat that I know of. They wash their food, or at least dunk it in water, so you'll need water nearby-and lots of it.

• sian1981
    10 years ago

so glad you put this on ive been thinking the same got loads of crows where i live love them and as for eclecticcottage why even comment if you hate them hate sad people that like to have there little digs as they have nothing better to do look for a post what you like

• edlincoln
    10 years ago

You are all making it difficult. They don't just eat garbage. I've seen crows eating at my parent's birdfeeder. Crows like corn. Put out a large bird feeder, and make sure it is full of corn and sunflower seeds. Make sure it is big enough to hold their weight. Maybe use a squirrel feeder. Corn cobs hung from things would also work.

Crows also like to nest in trees in the middle of fields. They like a high place with a clear field of view in all directions.

Plant a field of sunflowers.

• JordanWalker
    10 years ago

You can attract crows by taking away any thing in your yard that might scare them. Throwing down cracked corn is also something they will be attracted to. Throw it down someplace that is open. Keep some water in small shallow open containers for the crows to drink from.

• Vfran1
    10 years ago

You feed them dry cat food -- or sunflower seeds - - I've been doing this for years and have a loyal following that come daily - any weather

• katydidit33
    10 years ago

Since we've had crows around for years I offer this one piece of advice:
    Whatever you feed them, do it at the same time each day. Morning is best; second best is before they have to head home for the night. They'll keep the schedule better than you in no time - and leave nothing behind for other critters.

• edlincoln
    10 years ago

Crows love corn. Just put a lot of cracked corn in a bird feeder. Far less smelly then the other suggestions.

Planting sunflowers and corn might work. The oversised bird bath is a good suggestion.

Your dog could be scaring them away.

• Vanessa Maier
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The best way to attract crows is to feed them dry roasted unsalted still-in-the-shell peanuts. Make a crow call to initially attract them and when they fly over let them see you toss some peanuts, not directly at them, just toss the nuts and make eye contact with the crows. This shows them that you want to feed them. Leave some peanuts for them outside or throw some out every morning around 8:00am. Depending on the personality of the crows in your neighborhood, they may take to you quickly or slowly. If they swoop down over you, that's good, its a sign if affection. For more info you can visit my site, CrowLady.com

Hope you get some friendly crows soon!

Vanessa

• meganlanephotos
    8 years ago

I had never seen a crow in my entire life (in person) until this Spring. At all times, it seems that there is a murder of crows on my street. They're often perched up on telephone poles. At first I was excited.. a new bird to see.. now I'd happily send them your way. My 4 year old daughter and I are avid bird feeders.. we have suet, seed feeders and nectar all over our yard, hanging from trees. We even make pinecone feeders and heart-shaped seed ornaments homemade.. BUT, the crows must be scaring away our little backyard birdies because there has been a dramatic decrease in activity since the crows showed up. The crows don't visit my feeders, but I suppose their lurking about in the shadows is enough to frighten my regular visitors. Oh well.. Maybe a scarecrow would help? Or is that a myth..

• hipoint33
    8 years ago

Thecrowhunter is a true sportsman. He outsmarts the crows everytime. He must be part Indian to have such skill

• sharon's florida
    7 years ago

My husband made a raised table for me. It's about three feet high (a 4 x 4 post) and the table top is about 2 x 3.

My crows get dried dog food every morning and if I have meat scraps for dinner they get those late in the day. They like fish scraps, chicken hearts, peanuts, cooked spaghetti (sans the sauce), leftover fruit .. just about any scraps I have they enjoy. Be careful with chips and crackers as I have read that salt is very bad for birds ... can't place the article right now, but google it maybe.

When I go out to fill my tray feeders with black oil sunflower seeds for the birds and squirrels I call for the crows and they show up and start making a lot of noise. I know many people dislike them, but they are so fascinating to watch and really are beautiful birds. I love my crows. This year I have a pair nesting in my back yard and I can watch them from inside my living room and not disturb them. They are very sweet together and make all sorts of lovely little noises to each other. I enjoy having them in my yard.

The funniest thing I've seen them doing lately is following squirrels around and digging up the peanut they just buried. The squirrels are clueless. lol They had me laughing out loud watching them last week. I kept giving the squirrels peanuts just to keep the game going. Cheap entertainment for me. :)

• treenutt
    7 years ago

corn

• treenutt
    7 years ago

corn

• Nicki B
    6 years ago

Definitely corn. I find that they prefer tall trees and a little open flying space. Lots of farm fields around here that they pick at at the end of harvest. If you have a pretty large area of land you will see some, as long as you have areas to perch and "lookout" as I find they usually have one bird do that while others forage.

• Lynn in Parkton, Maryland
    6 years ago

Plant corn and they will come. They like it from the cob while it is still growing on the stalk. That's why there are scarecrows. I no longer plant corn in my veggie garden because the crows eat it all. The only thing frightened by the scarecrow was me :).

• aptz
    6 years ago

Come to our house and we'll be happy to try and direct as many crows as you might ever hope to see in your lifetime your direction. :)

• mr1010
    6 years ago

Feed stores carry 50 lb. bags of cracked corn for like 10-12 dollars. I feed it to birds and squirrels and sand hill cranes. The crows came and noticed and now come every morning for their share. they are interesting to watch.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm