Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mystery amphibian

Posted by vinh 9 (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 12 at 21:52

i found this frog/toad in my garden. any information on this amphibian would be appreciated.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mystery amphibian

Are you in Florida?

Looks like the dreaded Cuban Tree Frog, to me. They are a highly undesirable and destructive invasive species, if this is what you have. Their coloring varies, as does the intensity of the spots on their bodies so look up several different images to compare.

Here is a link that might be useful: Check this out

o

I am in Michigan so I am not familiar with this tree frog, but I have heard it is a problem. Can you tell me why? Kinda like our bull frogs here eating all the native frogs?

o

rhizo,

thanks for the info. i read the article and looked at some photos of the cuban tree frog, and while the photos bear a marked similarity with the frog in my photo, the description of the cuban tree frog does not match with the frog i observed. but i hope it's not the cuban tree frog.

i live in california and found the frog in a cool, dark, dry cardboard box where i store jars of seeds outdoor. i'd say it's about 1.5 to 2 inches.

o

Glad to hear it, vinh. I hope that someone from your part of the country will be able to ID this pretty frog. The Cuban has not shown up in the west, as yet.

Have you gone over the the NatureNet location in GardenWeb and posted your good picture in the Reptile and Amphibian forum? It won't go unidentified for very long. Be sure to post your location.

o

Glad to hear it, vinh. I hope that someone from your part of the country will be able to ID this pretty frog. The Cuban has not shown up in the west, as yet.

Have you gone over the the NatureNet location in GardenWeb and posted your good picture in the Reptile and Amphibian forum? It won't go unidentified for very long. Be sure to post your location.

o

Pseudacris triseriata, chorus frog

o

Likely a California Tree Frog (the frog which says "ribbet" in all the Hollywood movies).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here