Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rich_in_nfpa

Berries for birds

rich_in_nfpa
21 years ago

I'm looking for suggestions for deciduous shrubs I can plant in place of "Anthony Waterer" spirea. The front of my house faces west and is currently bare. I am working with a landscaper to come up with a design which will be attractive both to me and to birds and other critters. I told him I wanted some flowers at some point during the year and winter berries for the birds. I also wanted a mix of evergreen and deciduous shrubs to provide variety and nesting sites.

So far he has come up with the following list:

2 Blue Princess hollies

1 Steeds holly

1 Weeping Norway spruce

2 Chamaecyparis (he calls them "mops")

4 Microbiota (I'm assuming these are M. decussata --

also known as Siberian Cypress -- kinda like rug juniper)

4 Anthony Waterer spirea

The spirea are the only deciduous plants as well as the flowers I asked for. The Blue Princess hollies are the only berries and I know that not all birds are fond of holly berries. Can anyone suggest a deciduous plant about the same size as the spirea (3'-4') which would have berries attractive to more birds? Ideally they should also have relatively attractive flowers but I'm willing to sacrifice those for the birds' sake. I can always plant perennials among the shrubs!

I'm located in Zone 6 right along the Mason-Dixon line. These will be in a slightly raised bed 30'-40' long and 10'-15' deep across the front of one wing of my house.

Thanks!

Comments (52)

• sally2_gw
    21 years ago

Look into what's native to your area.

Sally

• Woodspryte
    21 years ago

Rich,

I found that birds will eat berries from deciduous (sp? you know, the ones that drop their leaves in winter) hollies. We have a variety called "salmonberry" that will eventually grow 3-4 ft tall. Our birds also love the berries on our currant plants-- those don't get that big, though.

Good luck,
    Woodspryte

• Elaine_NJ6
    21 years ago

Try native viburnums and dogwood (Cornus species) shrubs. All are beautiful and make berries that birds devour. Your landscaper is creating a sterile moonscape for you--as they usually do. Do some research yourself and you'll wind up with something much more beautiful and much better for the environment. Your goal should be to plant native species that should be in your area but that have disappeared because of development.

• rich_in_nfpa
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Wow! Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm planning on alternating serviceberry and dwarf buckeye across the back property line but I was looking for something to attract birds to the front of the house. I especially like the idea of using viburnum and maybe some shrub cornus species. I just had a large silver maple removed from the other side of the house and will probably replace it with an anthracnose-resistant C. florida variety but one can never have too many dogwood, can one?

I'll do some investigating on the Internet into various viburnum and cornus and suggest those as alternates to the spirea. Maybe a creeping cotoneaster instead of the microbiota, too. I'll probably stick to the other plants because I think they will be visually appealing and provide good cover for the birds (there are several feral cats in the area).

Thanks again for the great suggestions!

• david7a_ga
    21 years ago

Here is a website listing trees that attract birds.

Here is a link that might be useful: trees for birds

• Elaine_NJ6
    21 years ago

Instead of cotoneaster (not native), try coralberry or a short-growing holly if conditions are right. Or the absolutely gorgeous ninebark. Silver maple is an excellent wildlife tree, and beautiful, so there's no reason to get rid ot it. And dogwood (C. florida) should not be planted in the open as specimen plants. In nature, they are understory trees. They are very shallow rooted and when planted in full sun require enormous amounts of water. There are a number of viburnums that get quite tall and like full sun.

I have over a dozen C. florida (the species, not anthracnose-resistant), and no disease.

There's a lot to learn, and it's never as simple as it seems. But that just makes the learning more interesting.

• pennsylvania_pete
    21 years ago

Elaine, (just to pull on your chain here) you cut me deeply with your slash at cotoneaster. I feel its pain and all that. The short hollies are probably not natives either, most likely not even found in nature anywhere. And the silver maple- wildlife tree? Silver maple is a huge tree that has minimal place in landscaping unless you have a river bank or 10 acres.
    I agree with your comments about Cornus. Some shade should be provided for optimal performance. Mine are also species trees and don't yet have problems. Once established they can take quite a bit of sun.

• Elaine_NJ6
    21 years ago

The hollies I was referring to were I. glabra (inkberry) and I. verticillata (common winterberry), both native shrub species.

Ever see cotoneaster spread through the woods and shade out the undergrowth? I have.

My planting bible, Hightsoe's Native Trees, Shrubs, and Vines for Urban and Rural America, says that silver maple (A. saccharinum) has very high wildlife value to songbirds, waterfowl, hoofed browsers, and small mammals. We forget that those pesky maple seeds are food to a lot of critters.

My point about dogwood (C. florida) is that in nature it is an understory tree, and we should try using it as such.

• pennsylvania_pete
    21 years ago

Elaine, if I may persist without causing you aggravation, the hollies you mention are not small shrubs. I. glabra will easily top 8 ft. (even 'compacta' is listed as 6 ft. There is I. verticillata 15 ft. tall on the neighbor's land. Granted, growing conditions can keep them small for awhile, but if one is trying to provide food, then growing it hard is not what's needed. Around here, cotoneaster is well behaved, I've never encountered the dwarf cultivars in the wild.
    If your book rates Silver maple as very high wildlife value, the superlatives it reserves for truly useful plants like the dogwood and Viburnum must attribute devine properties to these trees/shrubs. I've never known too many birds to nest in the wispy branches of this tree. The seeds are abubdant but cannot be stored like walnuts, hickories or acorns. Red squirrels may use them, but the local grays avoid them. The benefit to waterfowl escapes me. If they mean holding the soil from washing, lots of other, higher value trees do the same thing. I'm not in favor of exterminating them, but their use in an urban/suburban landscape should be reserved to large parcels like parks and riverine areas. Does the book make mention of specific uses, or just give the 'very high wildlife value' without giving attributes that make it so? If they can make a convincing case, I am willing to change my mind about this rather weedy native.

• Sully4
    21 years ago

I just planted a small tree and shrub border specically with the birds in mind. I planted bayberry, hollies, spicebush, serviceberry, blueberry, a flowering crab called PrarieFire, and several Cornelian cherry dogwoods (cornus mas). (I also planted mountain ash and mulberry trees in the back of the property.) Some of the shrubs I listed may be small enough with pruning to fit into your landscape. Several books recommended the blueberry and the cornus mas turned up on every list I say that listed bird-attracting trees/shrubs.

• Elaine_NJ6
    21 years ago

My reference says that silver maple seeds are eaten by songbirds, waterbirds, waterfowl, small mammals, and hoofed browsers. (It says that dogwoods and viburnums--ans poison ivy, among other things--are just as valuable.)

Squirrels and chipmunks eat maple seeds all winter--they do it right in my front yard. They do not store them, but simply pick them up from the ground. At this time of year, when berry bushes have not yet ripened fruits, birds and small mammals are feasting on early maturing seeds of maples, birches, and poplars.

Yes, silver maple is a large tree. Also a very beautiful one.

My reference also says that both I. glabra and I. verticillata mature at 6 to 12 feet, but that would take a number of years. My 3-year-old I. verticillatas are still under 3 feet, but very healthy and full of flower buds right now, so there will be berries.

I wish I could plant blueberries, but my soil is not acid enough and I will not amend it. I stick with serviceberries, dogwoods, and viburnums instead, but only native species of the latter two. Serviceberry cannot be beat for attracting birds--they line up on nearby fences and clotheslines to check for ripening. Likewise Virginia creeper--never a berry left on the vine, and gorgeous. The possibilities are endless, even if you stick to things that are native to your area and that grow in association in nature. I have grey dogwood and arrowwood viburnum growing side by side, and what did I see the other day in a walk in the wildest part of a local sanctuary? Grey dogwood and arrowwood viburnum growing side by side. I know that most people say that C. mas is well behaved, but I avoid all non-natives.

• christie_sw_mo
    21 years ago

Rich - Maybe redosier dogwood. I think it's one of the more attractive native shrubs. It gets taller than what you wanted but a lot of people cut it back anyway to get better color. Or maybe there is a cultivar that stays smaller. The website below has lots of great pics and information.

Sully - Could I get more details about your shrub border? What kind of hollies did you use and did you plant in groups. I've planted a shrub border/screen along one side of our yard and used gray dogwood, viburnums, and deciduous holly so far. There is one spot where I want something evergreen but it's in full sun and I'm having trouble coming up with something that won't get too tall eventually. You can e-mail me if you like.

Here is a link that might be useful: OSU Cornus Sericea (redosier dogwood)

• rich_in_nfpa
    Original Author
    21 years ago

I am more interested in attracting birds with berries and good nesting sites than I am at planting only native species. Consequently, I am probably going to replace the spirea with Korean Spice Viburnum and I have the landscaper investigating Arctostaphylos uva-ursi (bearberry) in place of the Microbiota -- we're concerned our summers may be too hot for the bearberry.

As far as the silver maple is concerned, it is a moot point since it has already been removed. It should never have been planted where it was as it was too close to both the house and the driveway. The roots were on the verge of heaving the driveway and it *had* to come out. I moved into this house a little over three years ago and have spent most of that time removing trees and shrubs that had outgrown their sites. It's been sad but it has given me a relatively clean slate to work with. I always consider native species first but, if I cannot find one that satisfies me, I have no compunction against using a non-native species unless it is considered invasive.

I am planting serviceberry and dwarf buckeye across the back of the property (the buckeye flowers attract hummingbirds and the serviceberry fruit will feed other birds). I have a half dozen blueberry bushes on the south end of the house intermixed with coneflowers for the chickadees and finches. The west-facing bedroom wing we've been discussing will have the hollies and the viburnum (and maybe the bearberry) for berries and the Chamaecyparis, Steeds holly and Norway spruce for nesting. I will also be planting a tulip poplar (I know they get huge) about 30-40' from the house and either a pair of Eastern Redbuds or a Cucumbertree Magnolia near the road. Between the bedroom wing and the driveway I may use some native dogwood or maybe a Chinese pistache (Pistacia chinensis) tree. I am also planning on having several other varieties of virburnum and hopefully one or two beautyberry bushes along the sides of my lot. I've also got to find room for some lilacs and a damson plum -- they're for me :-)

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Rich

• Elaine_NJ6
    21 years ago

I never heard of Korean spice viburnum, but it sure doesn't sound native. Just because some viburnums are native, it doesn't mean all of them are (and many cultivars do not set fruit, because they're developed for showy, sterile flowers). One Asian viburnum, V. setigera, is on a list of possibly invasive plants. Plant species that are native to your area only.

• rich_in_nfpa
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Elaine, I never said I was only interested in native species. I am trying to be wildlife friendly but I am not trying to recreate a particular ecosystem in my yard. I have neither the time, the space nor the inclination to do that. I try to avoid any plant that can be invasive and favor native plants but do not exclude non-native plants. I understand that you believe in planting only native species but I'm a little more flexible (lazier, if you like). If this makes me a bad person, so be it. Life's too short to worry about too many things.

• carola
    21 years ago

Rich,
    Check out raintree nursery's web site or send for their 96 page catalog. The whole catalog is full of nothing but edible landscaping plants. It's based here in Wash state but they list which things do well in other parts of the country too. I think it's raintreenursery.com
    Also,your state dept of wildlife should have lists of which trees,shrubs,etc attract wildlife & which particular species to plant.
    The national wildlife federation has a certification program to get your yard certified as a backyard wildlife habitat. They have alot of good info on what to plant to attract wildlife.
    I don't know about where you live-but here there are landscapers who specialize in native plants,edible landscaping & plants that attract wildlife.
    Check out the seaberry plant @ the raintree web site.
    I don't think you could go wrong w/that one. It's native to Russia so could survive any winter,no matter how harsh.
    Although their catalog isn't as large or informative-there's another edible landscaping company in Oregon called "One Green World".

• newyorkrita
    21 years ago

Personally, I also am more interested in creating a bird attracting habitat while having it be attractive to me than in concerning myself over whether something is native or not. Even if its native, it might not be native to your area. Again, if it grows well where you are and you want it to be there,even if native to another area of the country, then there is no reason not to plant it.

Even with natives, I often go for an improved cultivator. For instance I have a huge amount of Swamp Milkweed planted in my yard planted because it is host plant for the Monarch Butterfly. Usually its pink but I just love a white variety Cultivator called Ice Ballet and that's what almost all of my Swamp Milkweeds are. The Butterflies do not care what color the flowers are, but I do so its for me and for the Butterflies. This way everyone is happy.

Rich- did you get your Serviceberries and Buckeyes planted?

• rich_in_nfpa
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Hi newyorkrita,

I planted serviceberries and buckeyes across the back of the property as I planned but I'm not sure how many of them have survived. The drought has been very bad here but I did my best to keep them watered well. Both of the buckeyes look in bad shape and only one of the serviceberries seems to be thriving -- another looks poorly and the third one looks dead.

I ended up dumping the first landscaper I was working with because he couldn't seem to understand what I was looking for. I had another landscaper draw up a plan for the entire property and install the bed discussed above. I like both the plan and the bed they've done. I asked them to include as many native species as possible but they are limited by what they can find at the local nurseries.

The new bed contains a kousa dogwood, 3 Blue Princess hollies, 3 cranberry cotoneaster (c. apiculatus -- thanks Pete!) and 3 fountain grass (Pennisetum alopecuroides). I'll be adding some crocus and winter aconite under the dogwood and some tulips among the other shrubs -- I'll probably end up feeding more chipmunks and squirrels than birds! :-/

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1347229}}

• newyorkrita
    21 years ago

Rich--
    Liked your picture of your new area. Sorry that the dry weather did in some of your shrubs. I know we had a fairly dry summer also but nothing like they did in the Southeast. I did have to water anything I planted after late spring all summer long but everything did really well and looks good. I am looking forward to all my new shrubs and plants growing, flowing and fruiting next year and can't wait!

Most of the shrubs I planted for the birds I found out about on this forum. If not for reading all the information about bird attracting shrubs, I would not have known were to even start!

• Elaine_NJ6
    21 years ago

The people who say "I don't care whether it's native as long as it's . . . . (a) not invasive, (b) pretty, (c) attractive to wildlife, (d) available locally" (pick one) should do more research. This is an extremely complicated topic, and frankly I think that many of you should take the trouble to become more knowledgeable about it. When you plant, you can harm the local environment or you can help it. If you are ignorant, you will probably harm it. Many of the alien thugs that are destroying native environments right now were introduced for exactly those reasons.

To respond specifically to some of the reasoning above: First, the "improvement" in new and improved cultivars and hybrids is often that the plant is sterile (my local garden center told me that people do not like fruiting shrubs because the fruit is messy, so they sell only sterile plants--I shop elsewhere). Sterile flowers do not attract pollinators. Second, insects and birds DO care about color. That's why a lot of flowers are bright yellow or purple-pink and a lot of berries are red. Insects' color vision is different from ours, and flowers have evolved to be noticeable to insects. If you like white flowers, plant vernonia or wild quinine. They will attract different pollinators from the pink and yellow flowers, bringing diversity to your garden. Don't mess with the butterfly weed. Third: butterfly weeds get their name because they attract monarch butterlies to lay their eggs on the leaves, so the caterpillars can feed on the leaves. These plants are not especially attractive to butterflies as pollen sources (although they are very attractive to bees and other pollinators). They also attract a complex and fascinating fauna of beetles, wasps, and aphids, all evolved to be able to tolerate the poison in the plants' sap. If you don't like a lot of bugs, don't plant butterfly weed. (4) We can't know if something is invasive until it's invaded, and then it's too late. Why take the risk?

• ferretma
    21 years ago

Elaine,

I just wanted to take this opportunity to tell you that I always enjoy reading your posts. I always learn something from you and you are so passionate about your beliefs.

I only recently discovered the beauty and value of native plants in the landscape not to mention the value to the creatures in this area. The builder leveled several acres to make room for 22 homes. Mine is the only one that now caters to the critters. It's posts like yours that give me a vision for my plans to give the creatures a haven from the sterile lawns of my neighbors.

Thank you.

-Carla

• newyorkrita
    21 years ago

Not all improved Cultivators are "improved" the wrong way. I have two of the species Arrowwoood Viburnums planted earlier this year. But I am planting a Cultivator, Blue Pearl, for its improved fruit set. In the spring I will be adding Blue Muffin, a cultivator that does not grow as tall. Both very useful to the garden.

The Swamp Milkweed is here to draw the Monarchs to lay eggs. It is also a good nectar source and yes, I have noticed its covered in bees and other pollinators. Also Butterflies and Hummingbirds enjoy feeding. But it makes no difference whether the flowers are white or pink (at least in this case) because I do have both colors of Swamp Milkweed and there is no preference shown for either color. Mostly I do not care for white flowering perennials (or annuals either) so this is one of the few white flowering flowers I have planted.

• newyorkrita
    21 years ago

Rich- Hope your shrubs come up in the Spring.

I watch a lot of Garden Shows on Home and Garden TV and I am always amazed at the garden makeovers by the professionals. Most of the time they plant the same things over and over and over and over.

• Piamia
    21 years ago

hej!berries which are beatiful to look at also, as well for the birds to eat..(very beatiful with their red coulour to the blue sky)...but it´s not a shrub...rowanberries...Both for birds and people (can make jelly of them, [best when frost has taken them])very sour but tastes very good to steak f.ex...if you want some, just tell me...

• newyorkrita
    21 years ago

Rowan would be Mountain Ash here. Unfortunately they most likely would do poorly in the humid Long Island Summers. I think they are lovely trees, though.

• stephenNJ
    21 years ago

David thanks for posting that link on "trees for birds"
    what an amazing site !!
    I might be planting service berry soon !!

• newyorkrita
    21 years ago

Serviceberry and Viburnum seem to be the top two recommended on the forum here. I can't wait for my new serviceberries to bloom this spring!!

• Forbirds
    21 years ago

Hi - could anyone tell me if Hansen bush cherries are any good for the birds? I'm just starting out with a wildlife garden. I've fed for years but am now trying to turn my small backyard into a friendlier bird space. I've ordered running serviceberries and beautyberries. Also ordered those Hansen bush cherries but I've never seen anyone mention them on this site. Am also trying to find Northern bayberry that I can afford. The sexed shrubs are expensive!
    Thanks for the help.

• Forbirds
    21 years ago

I forgot to mention that I also have elderberry bushes coming. I have 2 established but small fig trees and a bunch of oak trees. Also, a small privet hedge. Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks.

• riac60
    21 years ago

I'm new to this. What kind of birds does a Serviceberry attract? Is it a shrub or a tree?

• Forbirds
    21 years ago

I'm new also but from what I've read, I'm pretty sure that serviceberry attracts all kinds of songbirds. There are many kinds of them and I think most become more like a tree. I found a small variety called running serviceberry that is supposed to stay smaller and more shrublike. I just ordered it so I can't testify to that yet.

• newyorkrita
    21 years ago

I went nuts planting Serviceberries last summer. The Grandiflora is blooming now and others will start soon. Plus I went more nuts and ordered more types of Serviceberries for planting this spring. Can't wait for them to set berries so I see what types of birds show up for the feasting.

• newyorkrita
    20 years ago

So far Mockingbirds and Catbirds seem to be the Serviceberry eaters.

• newyorkrita
    20 years ago

I want to add Black Chokeberries to the list of bird attracting berries. My one shrub fruited heavily this year but the berries are all eaten already.

• LychnisLynn
    20 years ago

I'm glad that some people can plant for wildlife without being made to feel guilty about their choices. There are people who are so convinced that their way is the ONLY right way that I get turned off. I'm glad to see that some people continue to do what's right for them and those birdies!

• pheobuscottage
    20 years ago

Natives aren't always perfect garden plants. Many natives, such as pokeweed, poison ivy, and virginia creeper, are noxious weeds, but the birds LOVE them. If you live in vast acres of forest, you can have as many weeds as you like. Neighbors look at me cross-eyed for getting rid of non-natives to plant ("improved") deciduous azaleas and blueberries.
    I have to stick up for the natives when it comes to FRUIT bearing plants. I'm not a purist; I usually grow "improved" selections and cultivars, because they are "dwarfs" (like Blue Muffin Viburnum dentatum, Rita). The thing about growing non-native FRUITING plants for the birds is that the birds tend to poop the seeds all over creation, destroying the environment (cotoneasters, eleagnus, berberis, eurasian/asian loniceras, and many others, including sweet cherries and wineberries are INVASIVE garden escapees eaten by birds). There is a difference between having a truly ORNAMENTAL non-native plant and planting for the birds. It is not beneficial to use the birds as a propagation technique for alien fruit. (First do no harm.)

If it isn't too late, Rich, plant some blueberries or huckleberries (gaylussacia). They are deciduous or evergreen, tall or short, smooth or furry, just about any kind you want exists (except lime-loving). You would have a hard time getting unimproved blues, as they are not in many nurseries (maybe Elaine will give you cuttings from hers). The phytochemicals in blueberries are the cure for all that ails everyone, including Henry David Thoreau and ElaineNJ. Vaccinium spp. : native, ornamental, and good for you.

• newyorkrita
    20 years ago

Wineberries grow all around the woodsy areas of the Park across the street and in the more wooded Nature Preserve next to it. I am not sure if they are native, but I am sure they are not native to around here. I tasted some and the fruit is not bad. Reminds me of a very bland Raspberry.

I know there are lots of different opinions as to what one should plant, and especially what one should not plant. Still, I am interested in making my yard beautiful and private with lots of color and berries for attracting backyard birds. I have a very broad personal definition of native so if its native to anywhere in the country, its native to me. Plus I consider named clones to be only improved natives for my purpose, if the parent plants were native to the USA. I am not trying to impose my definition on anyone else, so don't anyone get upset.

But I really don't care if a plant is native as I have no intention of missing out such a wide variety of wonderful plants that are available out there. My intent is to make a very bird attracting, bird friendly landscape, not reproduce what might have been here hundreds of years ago if man had not interfered. If others do it differently, that's fine by me. We are, after all, trying to make our backyards enticing to birds and wildlife. The landscape has to please the person doing it.

I judge a plants suitability for my yard by a number of points. If the plant fits all of them, in it goes. Basically they are-

I have to like the looks of it.
    Size and shape.
    Will this plant do well here in my climate and zone.
    I garden organically, plants need to take care of themselves.
    Is this a good fruiting plant for berries that the birds will like.

For non-natives, I stay away from introducing any exotic pests into the neighborhood. If I walk around the Park and Nature Preserve woods, and the pests are already there, then I plant it anyway. An example of this would be Porcelain Berry, which grows everywhere around here so growing it in my yard is not adding a thing. Taking it out would not change anything either so I have a clear conscience growing it.

• kevin_5
    20 years ago

I take the opposite approach. If I see a pest in the Forest Preserve or on the walking trails, I cut them and spray the stump. Honeysuckle and Buckthorn grow everywhere around here, but I am systematically slaughtering all I can. Just whacking 5 or 10 a day adds up quickly. I carry Viburnum rafinesquianum, V. dentatum, V. recognitum, Cornus alternifolia, and Redbud seeds with me, and plant them when I take out an invasive. A person can make a difference rather than saying "oh well, they are already there, and my one plant won't add to it". I'm no militant though, and wouldn't force my philosophy on anyone. Just letting you know what's happening in "my neck of the woods!"

• roseunhip
    20 years ago

Kevin, I admire that approach, and would love to steer in that direction if it was ever possible (99.9% of people around where I live are light years from caring about any of that). I do root out buckthorn whenever and wherever I can, 'cause its invading all of the Montreal area wildlife around here makes me sick when I go hiking... Yes, people could make a difference.

• viburnumvalley
    20 years ago

Kudos to Kevin, and anyone else who hasn't given up. It will take the generosity of strangers to make headway in the effort to reduce the impact of invasive exotics on forest preserves, city parks, and any other "natural" plant community left on public lands. Much the same way a society battles pathogens of humans. Just because it's out there, doesn't mean it's OK to ignore it. For the capitalist (or mercenary), there may even be money in it.

For the altruist, there are abundant opportunities to volunteer time/expertise on public lands, and to inspire others to participate. Especially in large urban areas, where many youngsters are growing up with none of the green opportunities that many of my generation (40-ish) and older take for granted.

Yes, removing a few invasives only makes a small dent. Yes, planting one invasive in your yard doesn't add MUCH to the overall problem. But inaction contributes nothing, and planting another under- or unused native contributes a lot, especially with the birds' help.

Keep at it.

• newyorkrita
    20 years ago

I agree that Kevin has the most perfect approach. However in my case I can see myself getting arrested if I even tried to cut down or back any invasives on public property. The Nature Preserve that I was talking about has a big sign prohibiting digging, cutting, or otherwise tampering with any plants on the preserve. Even if they didn't the amount of Porcelian Berry is staggering. While the Preserve is mostly deep woods with nice wide hiking trails there is one section were it opens up into a large sunny clearing. I mean about a half acre. And what do you think is 90% of that clearing? Yes, its all Porcelian Berry.

That was all here before I moved into my house and the Porcelian Berry has always sprouted in any disturbed ground around the yard and the neighborhood. So I have no guilt over planting my less vigorious Varigated Porcelian Berry in my yard.

As far as cutting down the Japanese Honeysuckle that grows around some of the shrubs in the park, anyone trying to cut them would have the police called on them for defacing public property. I have never seen berries on them, just flowers but who knows.

I didn't even know what to do with my mistakenly bought invasive Adult English Ivey until I found a nice grove of it climing trees in the very same park accross the street. It seems to be in that area, on those trees but not elsewhere. So I planted my little shrub.

• newyorkrita
    20 years ago

My newest discovery in the shrubs with berries for the birds department is Longstalk Holly. The leaves look like laurel leaves but deffinately not as shiney as cherry laurel and alittle duller than mountain laurel. You need a male and female both to get fruit (as with most hollies) but the fruit is supposed to be an attractive winter food source for the birds. The berries look almost a little like miniture cherries because they hang done from the shrub branches on these long stems. So they don't look like hollies at all. Very winter hardy and evergreen, they are going to make a fantastic screen. The only thing is that they are not native for those who are into native only.

• newyorkrita
    20 years ago

Lately the most popular bird berry here is the Pokeweed berries being eaten by the local Cardinals and Mockingbirds the past few days.

• saint_ivo
    20 years ago

There is a short ilex verticulata - Red Sprite - which has tons of fabulous berries which look like Christmas decorations gone mad. It only grows to 3-4 feet, is deciduous, and of course needs a pollinator (Jim Dandy).
    But the best part is that they ripen late -- so they stay on the bushes for several months (bright red the whole time) in the fall-early winter. Then they provide food for the birds in later winter - Jan and Feb. I'm not good at this yet, but am trying to provide berries throughout the year.

• newyorkrita
    20 years ago

Spring is finially showing up around here. I can see leaf buds greening up and swelling on the shrubs around the garden. About time. Can't wait to get spring blossoms and summer fruiting.

• newyorkrita
    19 years ago

Red Sprite Winterberry is great. I have 10 of them and the Berries are always eaten during the long Winter. They look so fabulous with those striking red berries.

• newyorkrita
    19 years ago

Catbirds and Mockingbirds are hanging out in the Garden in groups of 4 to six at a time. They go from eating one berry producing item to another. Right now they are eating the berries of the Vining Honeysuckles, Black Chokeberries, Garden Huckleberries, Vining Nightshade and my Raspberries. When the Mockers and Catbirds go for the same item at the same time, there is a ruckus and squabbeling going on.

• newyorkrita
    19 years ago

Well, so far popular bird berries in my garden have been Pokeweed berries, Vining Nightshade berries (both weeds), Trumpet Honeysuckle berries, Arrowood Viburnum Berries, Black Aronia berries, Garden Huckleberries, AKA Wonderberries, (good for nothing but the birds and racoons to eat), Blueberries, Serviceberries, red rasberries (the birds don't notice the yellow ones), Winterberries, Beautyberry, and others that grow around here since the big garden renovation!

• Allshade
    19 years ago

The only shrubs in my new garden that have berries (so far)are the hollies and the (oops) controversial cotoneaster. No sign of anyone eating them yet.

We have had great luck attracting cardinals this winter because my partner dumped all of our leftover seed (after we decided NOT to feed the birds) on our patio. So now I am torn again on the seed issue. We have had flocks of cardinals (4 males and 1 female) and juncos (about 6) visiting a few times a week since the seed dump, so I am leaning towards continuing the practice in spite of my earlier decision.

After reading about the serviceberries I am considering one for our yard, if it will fit. The spot is between our house and our neighbor's, very narrow (driveway plus 4-5 feet?) and part sun. I will have to do some more research.

This site is so inspiring, my next move will be to check the NH website for grey dogwood, elderberry, etc. for the spring. Last year I waited too long and everything sold out.

Here's hoping for an early spring! I can't wait to see how everything wintered over.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022