Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiny-legged Salamander?

Posted by cagary zone 10 CA (My Page) on
Mon, May 15, 06 at 22:00

I've never seen a salamander with such tiny legs. Is this a salamander?

Thanks!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiny-legged Salamander?

Cagary,

Yes, what you found was one of the West Coast's species of Slender Salamanders, Batrachoseps sp. There are quite a few types and many are distinquished by very small diffences, so hopefully the included link will help you narrow down the species by range. I've found Batrachoseps attenuatus in the Big Basin State Park near Santa Cruz...

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Slender Salamanders

o

• Posted by cagary zone 10 CA (My Page) on
    Tue, May 16, 06 at 19:35

Mike,

Thanks so much for the link.

Looks like I found a Batrachoseps major.

o

its adorable!

o

Glad to help! The family and I are going camping on the coast next month, and we hope to find a few salamanders while we're there. Last time we uncovered a few Ensatinas, a Slender Salamander and a California Newt...

Mike

o

• Posted by min3 9N.CA (My Page) on
    Sun, May 28, 06 at 19:03

someone with ZERO common sense built an addition onto our hillside house by laying flat a 3 ft wide vinyl floor OUTSIDE next to the bottom of the uphill outside wall, then carved out the hill and built a 4 foot high brick wall on the outside edge of that floor and then, for 3 feet farther out, cut out a flat dirt step sitting behind the wall, built a row of big windows on the far edge of that dirt step and put a flat roof on top. we continue to find black slender salamanders dried up INSIDE on the vinyl floor. can anyone guess where they think they are going - there is no water inside the house to attract them but the rain sometimes soaks the dirt behind the brick wall. how deep do they tunnel? min

o

No,it's a type of newt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here