Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Be careful wandering around at night

Posted by paulsiu (My Page) on
Wed, May 11, 11 at 23:08

Recently, I went out to the backyard to take down the feeder at night. This is because the Raccoons have started to attack the feeder at night and can get around all of the baffles I installed.

I then notice what appears to be trash on the ground. It gets windy around here and sometimes paper and plastic bags get blown into the yard. I went to pick it up and realized as I got closer that it was actually a really large skunk. Fortunately, we both took off in the opposite direction or my wife would probably would not have let me back in the house :-).

Actually, it's probably the same skunk from several months ago. Back then he was a tiny guy size of a large hamster, now he or she has gotten really big.

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Be careful wandering around at night

• Posted by min3 9N.CA (My Page) on
    Fri, May 13, 11 at 19:22

thanks for the reminder. i bet there is nothing much more exciting than a handful of angry skunk in the night!

lucky that you missed experiencing that. min

o

Rattlesnake fear and mosquitoes keep me inside anyway, but thanks for sharing your funny story!

o

What a hoot. Glad that you didn't get sprayed. Do you know the peroxide, baking soda, and water remedy just in case you need it for future reference.

Here is a link that might be useful: skunk remedy

o

Several times I've opened the back door and demanded that the skunk get in the house...right now. Fortunately, it is unwilling to follow my orders.

o

Years ago, I was calling one inside and was even considering reaching under a fence to get what I thought was my cat to mosey on over when a skunk came around the corner. I was sitting on the curb of a parking space and sat quietly for a minute, then slowly got up and moved away as non-threateningly as possible. It seems skunks don't really want to spray at everything that crosses their path as we, or at least I, grew up thinking. They seem to really save it for being cornered or threatened. And I'm very grateful to know that first hand.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here