Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gray dogwood suckers ???

Posted by Christie_SW_MO Z6 (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 05 at 23:12

Trying to decide whether to remove gray dogwood suckers that are more than a foot away from the rest of the shrub. Or maybe they are seedlings. Not sure. Anyway - If I disturb the roots of the mama shrubs will it make them send up even more suckers? Do they quit sending up suckers after they get older? I do like them but I'm a little afraid they are going to get bigger than I want them to. And - I may have a couple gray dogwood suckers to send to someone trying to start a shrub row for wildlife if anyone is interested. Unless I have trouble digging them up. : )

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gray dogwood suckers ???

Grey dogwood never gets tired of sending up suckers, the suckers eventually get as big as the plant. So unless you want a gazillion plants in one spot, you have to remove them.

What you do it dig down about 6 inches or so, a few inches away from the sucker. You'll find a very strong horizontal root running in a straight line--the main plant sends up new suckers along that line. It's easy to see, because the suckers are often lined up in a row. If you want to slow the plant down, dig up that whole horizontal root.

Each sucker will be easier to establish if it has a part of that root along with its own root system. The sucker's own root system will be rather small. Plant as for any bare-root tree or shrub--dig a hole or slit just big enough for the roots, don't amend the soil, firm the soil very well around the roots, water well, and keep the area well watered for the entire first growing season.

If you're going to dig and replant these, do it before the weather gets too hot.

o

Thank you Elaine. How long have you had your gray dogwoods? Do they seem to get worse over time or do the suckers slow down as the mama shrub matures? They're pretty fast growing. I just don't want them to choke out the other stuff that I've planted along my shrub row.

o

They never stop. I'm not complaining. Any plants I can't use I donate to the local arboretum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here