Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will this bird's nest damage my house?

Posted by zirconx (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 1:07

A robin has built a nest on top of my gutter and against my house. Will this damage it? I don't want to disturb them if I don't have to. If I do have to move it, what's the best option? Try to place it in a tree?

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/183/6r53.jpg

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will this bird's nest damage my house?

Actually it's not a robin. Not sure what kind of bird this is.

o

It is a robin. The worst that happens is the poop that collects around the nest, but most people tolerate this for the pleasure of sharing their home with these sweet birds.

You can't move the nest in this case.

You can put something directly under the nest to catch the poop. But remember, if you repeatedly approach the nest the bird may abandon it, or the babies can get frightened and jump out of the nest prematurely.

o

In my experience with robins, there doesn't seem to be much that will disturb them. We had one insist on building a nest on top of our porch lamp just outside the front door.

We kept knocking it down and back up it would go! Finally, she constructed a darned skyscraper and laid her eggs. All before 5 am, when I usually made my first demolition. Once she laid the eggs.....she won the battle.

She raised her family in spite of the fact that the nest was inches away from the door we used all day long. The babies fledged in our front yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here