Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cariee_gw

I shouldn't as we're overrun with deer here. but what to feed?

cariee
14 years ago

Ironically some of my other posts have been been how to prevent deer from eating my garden.

The garden is now in containers on the front patio of the house protected by a 4' brick wall.

The back of the house faces a nice field with a lot of clover so deer do come visit. My elderly parents love to bird watch back there but unfortunately the main bird feeder is being decimated by a young doe. The tree is 5' from the house & she's quite bold. I appreciate that it's cool to have a deer that close but it's getting a bit pricey to feed her birdseed! She's gone thru a 20lb bag in a few days.

I threw out a couple of quartered apples but once she came back she just sniffed then went back after the birdseed.

I then put out bread(whole wheat of course!) and strawberries & fresh corn. I have no idea if she's eaten any of them yet however. And there's a groundhog back there that might also be interested....who knows?

What sort of saltlick is prefered by deer? I know one of those offered (mineral or just salt) is bad for sheep.

Feeding them here is probably frowned on or illegal here but it's hard to resist those eyes...btw I've named her Nikki ...lol

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction