Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjdbike

Help me w/ pretty g-cover for pt shade & critters?

jjdbike
18 years ago

Thanks for reading and hopefully replying to this post. I am trying to decide on somethings to plant at base of azalea hedge/along border of garden, and in corner behind roses. Along the hedge moderatly low-spreading is needed, behind the roses I need verticle. Both areas are part shade. My priortites are 1) easy to find & inexpensive 2) attractive useful for songbirds, hummingbirds and or butterflies 3) be pretty w/ nice interesting foliage and or attractive blooms and or fragrent. I am asking a lot I know and I have been at a total loss all season! I know that w/all of you intellegent, creative and experienced folks we con come up w/ some ideas.

Thanks

JD

Comments (8)

• jjdbike
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The more I think about this the more I realize how tough this is. I have hit a dead-end. I am still hopefull that you folks can help. By the way behind the roses are in the corner on either side of my front door so a small climber is ok. I can put up a small iron stake or the like. I don't know any climber that likes shade. I would want them to be perenial. If the ones behind the roses and behind the roses could offer some winter interest, or at least not be too unsightly, that would be best. For the ground cover along the azaeals, it doesn't matter what they look like in winter as I can cover them w/ mulch/compost.
    Thanks anagin for any ideas.
    JD

• jillmcm
    18 years ago

Well, I was just turned on to Adlumia fungosa, climbing fumitory, which is a biennial native climber that looks like a white bleeding heart (although this is not a perennial, it will reseed itself). I don't know where you are, though, so you'll have to check out hardiness, etc. That might work for your small climber, but it wouldn't have any winter interest.

For low ground covers near azaleas (I'm assuming the soil is acidic and moist?), what about low bush blueberries, huckleberries, dwarf itea for bushes - you could plant almost anything for perennials and have it do OK. I like a planting I have of heuchera with columbine and low asters mixed in.

• Elaine_NJ6
    18 years ago

I have a mostly shaded bed under mountain laurels, azaleas, and rhodos--my only acid area (and maintained that way artificially for the sake of the mature shrubs). I have native ferns and pachysandra, plus some tiarella and a low-growing sedum that volunteered. Looks really nice. My soil is not acidic enough for stuff like bayberry and bearberries or cranberries or lowbush blueberries, but if yours is you could try it.

• dragonthoughts
    18 years ago

I use ferns and hostas for low ground cover and a small juneberry(serviceberry) would probably work fine behind the roses.

• Elly_NJ
    18 years ago

I'm in love with Fothergilla major (Witch alder). I think it takes light shade.

Here is a link that might be useful: Witch alder

• moonwolf23
    18 years ago

ground cover part shade, ummm wild violets_ host plants

winterberyy - berries in late autumn and winter, evergreen.

not sure how aggresive the violets are but, for me the winterberry is a ok spreader and doesn't feel the need to take over the country.

mother of thyme in the more sunnier spots of the shady area, good nectar plant.

ok behind the roses, coral honey suckle, lonicera sempiveris. not sure how aggresive. btw this is the native one and hummingbirds love it. you could also try the native clematis, i think one of them may be a butterfly host plant. depending on where the roses are and how near to the house, you could put up passionvine j+p has some perenial ones. their a host plant for butterfly but they also attract ants i believe. defense against caterpillars.

ok i'm all out of ideas.

• jjdbike
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone. I am looking in to blue berry, winter berry & service berry for part sade. Seriously considering clemetis, however I'm concerned that it dosen't get enough sun for the honey suckle and clemetis. The two clemitis I have grow like gangbusters and start to bloom each late spring, then w/out warning wilt and die back. Its so upsetting as they are so beautiful. I have two honey suckes thay I love & so do the hummers. Bought a 3rd & planted in part shade , it whithered & died.
    Thanks again for all of the great ideas. Lots of food for thought.
    JD

• moonwolf23
    18 years ago

i think the non natives one need more sun, but the native ones i saw i think like part shade or more shadier environs. I could be wrong.

The one i have in my minds eye is blue and has bell shaped flowers. I saw it on the native flower forum. But when you google native clematis you mostly get virgins bower. ANd no i don't remember the latin name. sigh............

I almost want to say try some nightime blooming vines. But other than jasmine i don't know any and i think jasmine isn't hardy to your zone.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting