Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

Choosing a small tree

I am kind of stumped as to which kind of tree I should put as a focal point in my triangular area of butterfly/hummingbird garden. It's on the south side of my house and gets almost full sun. The triangle is bounded by 2 sidewalks-one to the front door and the other to the side wing and is an area around 80+ft x 40+ ft. I have put in several butterfly bushes, a weigelia and some summersweet just behind my flower borders. Outside this bounded area on each side are 2 ash trees--one massive and the other about 20 years old. The center is currently grass.

I *think* I would like to put some sort of flowering tree in the center, preferably one that could be walked/mowed under without problem. Hopefully it wouldn't impinge on the young ash tree or shade out the butterfly bushes. I'd also like it to be in scale with the height of the wing -story and 1/2. Anyone have tree suggestions or do you think I should just keep a grassy area in the center and sit in the shade of the young ash? (Currently there are no flowering trees on the property).

Question 2: is a Washington Hawthorne more useful on property periphery than as a specimen tree (such as in the situation described above?) 50% off at my local nursery...

Comments (2)