Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

what's this black and white bird - photo

christie_sw_mo
17 years ago

Anyone know what this is? I keep seeing it at Sonic walking around the parking lot and the grassy area around the lot. Finally got a picture of it.

Thanks

Comments (14)

• catherinet
    17 years ago

Wow. I have no idea what it is. At first, I thought it had a really big beak.....but I think that's part of the weeds behind it. I'm not familiar with this bird. Maybe it's a pet? Maybe it's a variation on some usual kind of bird. Maybe it's a juvenile? How big was it? Have you tried posting it on the Birding forum? Very interesting!

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It was Robin-sized. I will post in the Bird Watching forum too.

• dirtgirl
    17 years ago

was it walking or hopping? My guess is that you have yourself either a grackle or a robin with a touch of partial albinism....
    leaning more towards the grackle at this point...

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dirtgirl - I think it was looking for french fries so Grackle would make sense. Two other people suggested a partial albino Grackle in the Bird Watching forum and posted almost at the same time you did. I can't remember if it was walking or hopping but it spent quite a bit of time on the ground. I've always seen it by itself, not with other birds. I'll keep my camera with me. It was still hanging around there yesterday. Maybe I can get another shot.

• catherinet
    17 years ago

Hey Dirtgirl.....sounds like you and the couple of people on the birdwatching forum may have guessed it! I've never seen an albino or partial albino anything. My brother in Minnesota has an albino squirrel in his yard!
    You were really lucky christie to get pics of this!

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

can you identify any of its calls? it reminds me of a grackle as well. or magpie? i dont' know anything about them since we have none in my area.

• dydee
    14 years ago

I just had a full albino grackle in my yard TODAY! I was so excited to see this post, I joined the site. (I don't know how to upload pics yet, but I got quite a few) I even got a couple being fed by momma!

• frank_il
    14 years ago

My thought was leucistic grackle.

• bbcathy
    14 years ago

I agree with Frank.
    Cathy

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dydee - Welcome to Gardenweb! Congrats on getting the photos. It's unusual to see an albino bird, much less photograph it. There are some interesting photos if you look on Google's images feature. There's an albino peacock that's beautiful.

If you're wanting to learn how to post photos, you can find lots of helpful info by searching on gardenweb. A lot of people use Photobucket.

• dydee
    14 years ago

Thanks alot for the tip... I'm trying to use photobucket now, so hopefully it works!
    Dydee

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures by bjorknbeans

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It worked for me. Really cool that you got a photo of it being fed. That leaves no doubt as to what kind of bird it is. Here's a discussion in the bird watching forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Unofficial poll on albinistic, leucistic birds

• dydee
    14 years ago

Thank you SO MUCH, Christie! This bird has been such an exciting experience for my whole family. And, I did leave a link in the bird watching forum. Thanks for the info..
    Dydee

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I posted mine there too just now.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting