Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nohandle

why can't we all just get along?

nohandle
17 years ago

This morning I woke up and looked out the front window just in time to see a sparrow yanking tufts of alyssum out of the front garden and a squirrel eating the flower buds off the gazanias......will the madness never cease?????

Comments (9)

• catherinet
    17 years ago

Hi nohandle,
    All those animals are getting along just fine! We humans seem to have different plans in mind though. I guess if you want things a certain way, you'll have to figure out how to protect them from the wild animals or maybe put out some sacrificial stuff for them........like weeds!
    I made large tomato cages out of concrete reinforcing wire, and tied them together with twine. The birds love pulling that twine out for their nests. At first, I was irritated, but soon realized that it was nice to have something for them to use. Sometimes you can find enjoyment in seeing how you've helped so many other little beings. But if you're into just pleasing yourself, then you might be out of luck and in for alot of frustration.
    I do understand your frustration though. I had to quit feeding the birds so I wouldn't attract raccoons......who would do major damage to my yard, trees and watergardens.

• vonyon
    17 years ago

I agree, we all see the world through human eyes. I have a young buck roaming through my yard daily as if it is a grocery store. I am hoping he doesn't start bringing his friends!

• sam_md
    17 years ago

Would that be a 2 legged or 4 legged young buck?

• nohandle
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Actually, it doesn't frustrate me really...just amazes me that they are so destructive (relatively speaking of course). Of course I have no problem with them eating the maple keys all over my yard, but it's a little surprising when they start messing with stuff that I thought was just ornamental.
    And for the record, the sparrow just pulled out a few tufts of alyssum and took off without it. Just in a vandilising mood I guess.

• maifleur01
    17 years ago

Alyssum is a tough fiberous material the sparrow probably was collecting for nesting material. Don't feel too badly unless he? took the whole plant think of it as nature assisting your deadheading for rebloom.

Don't for get to put out a pan of water for the squirrels esp when it is hot and dry. Squirrels will eat almost anything to get moisture. This is one of the reasons that people lose tomatoes to squirrels. They take a bite or two for the moisture then spit out because nasty tasting.

• catherinet
    17 years ago

maifleur.....that's good advice about the water.

• nohandle
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've never heard of that before, but my neighbourhood had been bone dry for a week and the birdbath was empty (not that I've ever seen squirrels using it however).
    Regardless, it makes a lot of sense. Thanks maifleur.

• shellytwinkie
    17 years ago

Thanks I didn't know that either. Coulda been the squirrels and not just the turtles takin bites out of my maters. I love to see the deer and rabbits strolling thru my yard. I just wish my dogs wouldn't bark at them so much. The deer that run through the property in SC used to drive my pups nuts. Any advice to help them (dogs and deer) co-exist? I will definitely remember the information on the water for the squirrels. I LOVE THIS SITE :)

• catherinet
    17 years ago

Hi Shelly,
    Unfortunately, I think it's pretty natural for the dogs to bark at the deer. I have the same problem. My dog barks at everything that moves. You should see her in the house when she sees a squirrel through the window. She shakes so hard I think she will levitate!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting