Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myst_4ever

how to get them to come...

myst_4ever
18 years ago

Good morning everyone, i have recently put bird feeders up around my yard, thinking i would have alot of visitors b/c around my yard there are alot of birds... but since i think all the birds have moved away... they are gone. im not sure where they have gone or why but i sure would like to see some birds in my yard. maybe im just being too eager but would you have any suggestions as to how to attract them to my bird feeders?

thanx in advance...

Selina

Comments (7)

• vonyon
    18 years ago

Selina: They will come, but it takes some time. You have to think like a bird. Are the feeders out in the open where the birds aren't comfortable going? Birds are smart and are not about to trust a new source of food without watching it for a while. If you think like a bird, you will start to observe many things in your little ecosystem which will help you to make good decisions for your little eco-community (since you too live in that little community, you are also a community member).

Just some more things to think about..........while your bird feeders will eventually attract birds, the congregation of birds at the feeders will also attract predators like hawks. The congregation of birds at feeders also helps to spread disease like conjunctivitis. Disease weakens animals making them easy prey. Bird feeders also attract non-native birds that are fierce competitors for the natural foods and nesting places. This results in decreased diversity of species in your yard. Decreased diversity threatens the environmental health of your little eco-community.

With all of that in mind, the best thing to do for the long term is to plant a variety of natural foods such as native seed plants and native berrying bushes and trees. These not only provide food, but also lost habitat. They also provide cover for birds to hide from predators. Just my humble opinion. Good luck.

• treebeard
    18 years ago

"You have to think like a bird."

Hmmm...just how is that accomplished?....LOL

Gotta love it!!

Good suggestions, though. Only one thing I could add would be to determine what kind of birds spend time in your area, and when they're there. Then find a local store that specializes in and attends to the needs of birdfeeders and birdseed. Birds have food favorites, and they have things they won't go near. Someone in your area well versed in that subject can better direct you to what to purchase and what kind of feeder to put it in.

Be aware that for the novice birder...the choices for seed and feeders are large. And the confusion can be a test of ones commitment and resolve.

And all the while the birds will be sitting just out of sight, waiting for you to get it right. Then all at once, you'll get it right, the seasons will be right, the stars and planets will be in alignment, and you'll find yourself spending more on birdseed than you ever imagined.

So sayeth the voice of experience who hath spent a mighty fortune on feeders and favorites for the little gluttons...er...I mean...winged creatures.

• catherinet
    18 years ago

Hi myst,
    Ahhhh......patience Gwasshoppa! :)
    The birds have their eating itineraries all mapped out. Eating for them isn't just a haphazard thing. They know exactly where they can go to get what. When you put up a new feeder, it's not on their lists yet. Patience.........they will eventually find it! And then they'll eat you out of house and home!

• Nancy_Ind_is_now_Ill
    18 years ago

Having a water source near the feeder helps too. They can live longer without food than they can without water. If other feeders your are competing with aren't offering them water, your restaurant may become their elite place to dine! And if your are going to feed year around, buy a heated water bowl. They only cost about $15 and are life savers - literally - for the birds or any other yard visitors when most liquid has turned to solid ice.
    Speaking of feeding year around, I could never understand people who only fed in the summer when natural foods are plentiful. Winter time is when they are in the greatest need for food to generate body heat. I always get a much greater assortment of birds in the winter time since they know both food and water will always be available to them.

• rembetika
    18 years ago

vonyon... hey that was some really good advice. i never did feel comfortable with just putting out the usual birdseed, and then there's the squirrels, and like you say the non-native species that compete... and then you have to spend all that money on those fancy convoluted squirrel-proof- and non-native bird-proof feeders... why mess with all that when you can just plant NATIVE species that NATIVE birds like?
    thanks for the reminder.

• vonyon
    18 years ago

Thanks Rembetika, It is something I have come to over time through observing the yard. Non-native birds will also gladly eat anything you plant, but you are probably more likely to get natives and less non-natives that way.

• hollyhock43
    18 years ago

June is typically a time when birds are more scare in my zone(6/7) because they are busy feeding and raising their young..Exception is the yellow and gold finche, who raise their young later in the summer...So you might have alot of birds in July comprised of those already mature adults and young juveniles...Birds here tend to be more frequent and numerous after the young have left the nest...Steph

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH