Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Birds are Partying at my House!

newyorkrita
18 years ago

Actually they are holding their party in my garden. Everyone is invited even though there are lots of squabbles among the guests. So far they have completely stripped the sweet cherry tree of fruit in 3 days. Many years I don't get fruit on it but there was a decent crop this year (none last year).

The Robins and Catbirds prefer the Serviceberries which are nice and ripe now. The Mockingbirds are tired of flying between the sour cherry trees which have ripe fruit , the Goumi shrubs which they seem to love and the Red elderberries which are being eaten slowly.

There are a never ending succession of Mockingbirds, Catbirds, Robins, Cardinals, Orioles, Blackbirds, Blue Jays and who knows what else and the party is not going to let up anytime soon as the Blueberries, Blackberries, Black raspberries, and Red Raspberries will soon be getting ripe. The Blueberries are popular every year but this is the first year for lots of bramble fruit. Last year I did have small amounts of red and yellow raspberries and found the reds were quite popular with the Mockingbirds and Catbirds. They left the yellows for me to eat, wonder of wonders.

Then there will be fruit on my Viburnums as this was the best year so far for flowering here. Other bird attracting fruit like honeysuckle, shrub dogwoods and whatever I am forgetting will keep the party in full swing thru the summer.

Comments (2)