Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bats in the house

Posted by housenewbie NEPA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 1, 06 at 13:27

So how in heaven's name does it come about that I have a bat in my basement? Yes, BASEMENT. DH found it last night. Tried to chase it out the door (windows don't open) but then lost it somewhere. Was afraid to leave the door open all night, for obvious reasons, so unless the bat figured out how to leave the way he came in he's still there.

Oy. I like bats and all, but I have very clear ideas about the separation of bat-space and me-space. And I REALLY don't want to open the linen closet in the bathroom (site of a former clothes chute to the basement) and have a bat fly in my face.

Can it have come down the chimney? We had a wood stove put in last fall, so there's a steel liner in there and a cap on top. The only other thing I can think of is the hole where the dryer vent or the hose line goes out.

Now what? Other than buying a net for bat-catching, what the heck do I do?

Help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bats in the house

Who knows how he got in there, but the chimney seems likely. They don't need but a very small crack, by the way.

I would VERY much leave the door open! Turn off the lights in the basement, and open the door until you go to bed.

o

I had 2 bats get into this house when I was renovating it last year. When I discovered them, it was daylight and the first one was hanging onto the lath upstairs. Second one was hanging onto the plaster wall downstairs. Very easy to just gently get a hold of them and take them outside. Neither tried to fly. I know how mine came in and it was fixed.

I would see if it's not just hanging on downstairs during the daylight. If not, do what rhizo says.

o

Leave the windows and doors open, so it can escape, if it is still alive.

o

Well, DH evicted the bat yesterday PM. Found him asleep or injured on the floor in front of the door. Guess I'll have to go up on the roof one of these days and see what's what. Seems weird that he would have climbed all the way from the roof to the basement thru the chimney, tho. That's a long way to go.

Thanks for the suggestions.

o

• Posted by tbt3 z7VA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 9, 06 at 15:52

I would suggest that everyone be very careful with bat encounters. Bats are frequently carriers of rabies, which is 100% fatal after symptoms appear. Often times bat bites are unnoticable as well. I don't want to scare anyone, but I would consider contacting my local health department and getting their advice if you woke up with a bat in your room or you had close contact with a bat, especially if it was acting strange. It is also easier for testing if the bat is captured so it can be tested for rabies. Just my 2-cents

TBT

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here