Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

If you think you had a bad day........

catherinet
17 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm posting this pic for Dirtgirl, and she will be along shortly with the message that goes with it.

{{gwi:163569}}

Comments (9)

• terryr
    17 years ago

Catherine, it just takes me to the sign in page for photobucket. I did have a bad day......and was wondering what could possibly be worse. :(

Terry

• catherinet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi terry,
    Hmmmm.....I can see the pic from my end. I'm not sure what to do. Let's see if other people have the same problem. Sorry for your bad day! I hope it wasn't as bad as it was for this bug! It's a pic of a bug that is impaled on a barbed-wire fence. I think Dirtgirl is wondering if it was a shrike saving this morsel for later, or just bad luck on the part of the bug! I hope your day improves, and we'll try to get this picture thing worked out. (although you may wish you hadn't seen it!)

• huachuma
    17 years ago

I'm able to see it... Might have been a shrike, but then again... I was once sitting on a ridge in the desert near Tucson on a fairly windy day. A honeybee that had been foraging on wild flowers near the ground where I was seated, rose just high enough off the surface to be caught by a gust and pushed into a Saguaro Cactus where it was impaled on a spine with it's wings still beating furiously...

Mike

• catherinet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh Mike, that's awful!
    I was at my SIL's one day, and we were walking around the yard, looking at things. She has some honey locust trees (aren't those with the spikes?). Anyhow.....I looked up at a bird nest about 8' up, and realized that an adult bird had been impaled on one of the spikes right above the nest. How awful! S**! happens!

• terryr
    17 years ago

Catherine, I was messing with my setting last night. I was told I didn't have my security settings set properly. Last time I listen to someone who knows about as much as me about computers. So anyway, I can now see the pic.

I don't know. My bad day has more to do with something said to me that will probably stay in my mind forever. It was cruel and hurt deeper than you could think possible. It has to do my disabled daughter and something my dad said. I'm crying again just thinking about it. I'm sorry to be such a downer.

Terry

• catherinet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Terry........(((((((hugs))))))))

• terryr
    17 years ago

Thank you Catherine

• dirtgirl
    17 years ago

First off, sorry to be so long getting here, our server was down all night and most of the morning.
    Terryr,
    Sorry about your situation...people can be pretty cold and heartless and unfortunately family barbs can sometimes hurt the worst, can't they...wish folks would stop and think before they open their mouths.

A friend sent me this image. He was out mending fence and saw this and went all the way back to the house after the camera. His impression is that it had a brief navigational hiccup with drastic consequences. I wonder if a shrike didn't have something to do with this. Looks like a scarab beetle (dung beetle maybe) which are pretty heavily armored and I would bet would tend to glance right off and keep on truckin'....but the barb has impaled the beetle right behind the head where there's a chink in its "armor" so I can go either way on this one.
    Plus if this beetle was in flight when it hit, its coverlets were out and it would have been more vulnerable.

An interesting (and slightly macabre) picture just the same.

• dirtgirl
    17 years ago

just glanced at it again and I have changed my mind...that guy took it square in the head!!!

ye gods.

now that makes me lean more towards the shrike theory.....

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling