Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

owl mystery solved!

dirtgirl
18 years ago

We have nicknamed him/her The Cajun.

This particular barred owl has definitely developed a taste for crawdads!! There seems to be a distince pattern and I am dying to figure out some way to sit and watch all this going in the dark: about 9:30 The Cajun arrives in the front yard, but until recently we couldn't figure out why it was spending so much time there. We seldom actually saw it, just a glimpse of it rising hurriedly from some unknown low spot in the yard when the headlights would sweep across the grass upon our return home. It is perching on our phone pedestal, which in rural areas is that skinny metal box which stands about 2 1/2 feet off the ground. I noticed mud and talon marks all over the top of it, and when I did a careful inspection of the ground beneath it....claws, lots of crawdad claws. This crafty bird is spending about four hours an evening eating crustaceans. I can only wonder how easy that would be...sit patiently until they start coming up out of their holes in the ditch, wait for them to get a little ways out where they can't drop back into them, and then just swoop in for a snack on the half-shell. It's not like going after a mouse or a young rabbit, which could easily dart around and avoid your sharp toes...these little morsels just sit there, maybe at the most raising a pincer in a sad attempt at defense.The owl probably even walks around on the ground after them!

Then after it's eaten a belly of these delicacies it perches on the phone pedestal and hoots and who-hah hahs and carries on for another hour.

I wonder how long the supply will last? This has been going on for WEEKS!!

At least now we know why there's so many feathers in the front yard.

Comments (12)

• wardw
    18 years ago

That's a great story. It's not often that someone gets such a natural history lesson from a Barred Owl.

• catherinet
    18 years ago

Hi Dirtgirl,
    Okay.......I'm a little slow.......now where's all the feathers coming from? I don't imagine a crawdad has much of a chance against an owl, so I'm thinking they aren't pulling the feathers out.??? Where does the owl sit while watching for the crawdads? (the phone post?). What a patient animal! I'm thinking, it must catch them while they're outside their hole.
    I was driving down our lane once, when I saw one in the middle of the road. I stopped and got out and walked up to it, and it was holding it's pincers up, like it was really ticked at me and was saying "Make my Day!". It was a little silly to see.....but I guess you always gotta try!
    Your owl has definitely developed a taste for them. Does it eat all but the claws?

• dirtgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Cathy...
    yup, our bird definitely seems to be using the post, but we don't know if it is pouncing on the 'dads from there of it is just returning to the post to munch on them. Could be both.
    I did a closer check after the first post and lo and behold...the thing has gotten so comfortable with this routine that it actually coughed up a pellet from the post this time. This is the first one I found at that location--I'd been quietly hoping for this since you can learn an awful lot from an owl pellet:)--and I got lots of surprises when I started poking around in that little goodie. Yes, lots of crawdad exoskeleton, but here's the big shocker: our bird is also eating quite a few beetles, possibly stag beetles by the look of the remains. I kept pulling out these mahogany colored wing coverlets and thinking, now wait a minute, crawdads don't have THOSE...
    And oddly enough, very few mammal bits. Must be better or at least easier pickings in that ditch!! Maybe I should set out some clarified butter and a twist of fresh lemon...

I'm now pondering ways to get my motion camera mounted to that phone pedestal!

Oh and Cathy, forgot to add...I guess owl feathers must shuck off fairly easily when they make a dive onto prey. Given the fact that there are so many out there on a regular basis, I'm thinking at least a few of this bird's attempts at food are staged at a higher location than the pedestal. But there definitely wouldn't be any need for shock and awe tactics if you are picking off crawdads lumbering about the dry ground.

• ericwi
    18 years ago

I knew that crayfish could live in muddy soils, as well as in ponds. But I didn't know they came out at night. Do you suppose they come up to feed?

• jillmcm
    18 years ago

Send your owl up to my Dad's cabin in Minnesota - someone introduced Indiana crayfish into the lake there and the suckers have grown to the size of small lobsters, I kid you not. There's one on every rock. An owl could have some good eating if they're as thick on the banks as they are in the water :)

• stephenNJ
    18 years ago

Dirtgirl thanks for sharing your wonderful story! I enjoyed it immensly!
    -stephen

• dirtgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Stephen.
    With so much going on outside, it's no wonder my TV is just a waste of space. Hey, I could be piling REFERENCE BOOKS there...
    (that's for you Elly NJ :) )
    I shouldn't joke...I am way short on space for more books. Maybe I should remove the picture tube and put in a shelf?

Jillmcm....maybe you should send them a good recipe for gumbo and a seine! I'm thinking my birds are happy here until they run out of willing entrees!

EricWI,
    we are right in the middle of a serious dry spell. The turtles left the smaller pools for better waters a long time ago and the crawdads are probably taking advantage of the dewy nights for foraging. Most of their "tower" covered tubes probably still hold some water down deep but the shallower ones are likely hurting by now.

• vonyon
    18 years ago

Cool story, DG. You always have the best stories!! not at all hurt by your ability to write them down for us in such detail! Thanks.

• Elly_NJ
    18 years ago

: )

I love reading your opinions.

• dirtgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

wink wink
    nod nod

• sowngrow (8a)
    18 years ago

That's so cool! Thanks for telling us about that Cajun Owl! Play it some Zydeco music!

• dirtgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

or maybe some Hootie and the Crayfish-er- Blowfish

forgive me