Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bird-safe waterproofing for birdbath

Posted by debtro z5 IL (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 12, 10 at 14:47

I have two birdbaths that developed cracks and won't hold water anymore. Other than that, they're perfectly good so I want to waterproof them. I figured the same methods that fill holes in pots to make small watergardens would work to waterproof the cracks in the birdbath. I've found suggestions for both Bondo and silicone. But are these safe for birds? If water is sitting in the birdbath and birds are drinking? If not, any suggestions? We get lots of regular "customers" and I'd hate to inadvertently hurt them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bird-safe waterproofing for birdbath

I have a concrete birdbath that is over 20 years old and has developed cracks too. A couple months ago I went to the hardware store and the manager recommended a caulk that is used in fish tanks. It is aquarium sealant, 100% silicone, and safe for fish. Haven't gotten around to repairing the bird bath yet, so I can't tell you how well it works!

Maybe I will do that in the next couple days, as it is supposed to be nice weather and it has to dry and cure for 48 hours.

o

Once you waterproof the birdbath, can you clean it well?

o

After researching, the advice to use aquarium sealant seems safest. It doesn't contain any mold inhibitors that other silicon sealants have, and is very strong.

o

Funny you should bump this. I finally got around to repairing that bird bath about a month ago! The aquarium sealant worked GREAT. I applied about 1/4 inch bead of sealant and smoothed it flat with my fingers, which was probably too much. I don't think very much at all would have been necessary to prevent leaking.

The only weird thing is that the sealant is slightly shinier and darker than the concrete, but you don't notice that when it's full of water.

Also, concrete bird baths are difficult to clean anyway. I use a stiff scrub brush. The sealant hasn't made any noticeable difference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here