Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emmi331

Tiny Yard - Want Habitat!

emmi331
16 years ago

Hello, everyone - This is my first time posting to this particular forum, and I notice that some people here believe it's better to create an appropriate habitat than to put out bird feeders. I plead guilty to the last! I live on the outskirts of a small city in SW Virginia, on about 1/16 of an acre. So this is a tiny city yard, but I have done my best to make it animal friendly by having lots of shady areas and trying to create cover as best I can. I really do not have room for a pond. I put out plenty of water and seeds in feeders, and have quite a nice variety of birds (a few I could do without, but they should feel welcome, too!). I also have squirrels, chipmunks, and the occasional rabbit or possum. There are nandina bushes with berries, but I'm not sure birds eat these, as well as holly. I'm getting ready to plant some shrubs and bushes in front of the house - suggestions? I would be happy to do without the feeders, as they can be a nuisance, but I need some guidance. Can you help? Thanks!

Comments (2)