Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Does Black Bear Poop Look Like?

Posted by bulldinkie pa (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 15, 05 at 16:11

Down below our pond we saw on the trail a pile pretty large.It was big like horse, but it was not horse,we have 2 tennesse Walkers I know it wasnt thiers. shoveled enough..It bugs me to no end as to what may have been down there as the biggest animal here in wild is deer.Thiers isnt big.We heard theres a black bear young one in the area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Does Black Bear Poop Look Like?

You asked.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bear scat

o

Sounds like bear to me.
The following was sent to me by a friend in Wyoming when he heard I was coming for a visit and some hiking...
"Bears-
Three things come to mind: Carry pepper spray and wear bells, Know their tracks and habitat, Know their spoor. Tracks are easy given their variation in size. Habitat is easy because they all frequent similar places. Spoor is a bit more difficult. Black bear spoor can resemble that of a very large dog. Grizzly spoor is unique because it smells like pepper spray and is full of little bells."

o

Bwaa haa! Love the grizzly spoor description!

o

Holy cow. That brings back some horrible memories from my childhood!

When I was a kid our neighbor had this nasty coon dog-mongrel-beast that would always break its chain and immediately make its way into our yard to drop off a package. You never knew where it would be but you soon learned to look!

Have you noticed your horses acting spooky lately ar anything? You mentioned a pond...I'd look for tracks.

o

I think it was hubby was away a few days the driveway buzzer rang during the night.My yellow lab which is basically deaf barked quite awhile.There is no other animal that could have left that big scat.He was spotted in our area again last evening.Bears usually arent around here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here