Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowersandthings

ID on hummingbird like bug?

flowersandthings
18 years ago

Hi since I don't think or know if this bug is a pest I'll post on the wildlife forum instead! (no sense in insulting a harmless or beneficial? bug) I saw the most unusual bug and was just wondering what it was.... it resembles a tiny tiny hummingbird but was too small for that. It was about bumble bee size. The wings were in constant motion (as it flew) and looked like a hummingbirds.... it also had a pointed "snout" or beak like looking thing that curled (a little?) at the end. Is there some bug that looks like a hummingbird? It was hard to tell color since it was moving so fast but it looked mostly blackish.... :)

Comments (21)

• Elly_NJ
    18 years ago

It's most likely a Sphinx, or Hummingbird, moth.

It pollinates flowers as it drinks the nectar.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird moth

• flowersandthings
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yeah that's what it is.... look how cute! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1347658}}

• catherinet
    18 years ago

I just love those things! I look forward to seeing them around my hosta flowers and clome every year. I find them mostly around dusk. Ain't nature grand?

• dgower82
    18 years ago

They love plants in the tomatoe family. Even though they can be a little damaging, I always leave the hornworms on the plants.

• catherinet
    18 years ago

dgower........what plants do you usually find the hummingbird moths' caterpillars on?

• dgower82
    18 years ago

tomatoes, brugmansia, and ground cherry

• catherinet
    18 years ago

They aren't those big tomato hornworms, are they????

• dgower82
    18 years ago

yep

• catherinet
    18 years ago

You're kidding! I guess I'll be a little more friendly to them now! Actually, I never kill them when I find them eating all my tomatoes, but I do remove them to the bushes. I like them much more as moths!

• amy_z6_swpa
    18 years ago

Yep, that is one of the clearwing moths. That is an AMAZING photo! Did you take it, flowersandthings?

The Sphingidae are some of my favorites. They are all so beautiful too.

• flowersandthings
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lol I wish no.... It was a photo I found through googling. I didn't have my camera when I saw it. I often am not quick enough with the wildlife. I also saw the cutest groundhog the other day that bolted (fast as he could which wasn't very fast!) when he saw me. :)

• stuart_s
    18 years ago

Just a few thing need clarification on this thread:
    The hornworms you find on tomatoes turn into a sphinx moth called a Five-spotted Hawkmoth or they can be Carolina Sphinxs. The little hummingbird moths are called Clearwings (also sphinx moths), but the caterpillars eat viburnum, cherry, plum, honeysuckle or snowberry.

• dgower82
    18 years ago

Hey thanks for clarifing, I always thought it was the other way around.

• catherinet
    18 years ago

Thanks Stuart!

• Keithincanton
    18 years ago

This thread was a big help, many thanks to all! We just saw our first Hummingbird Moth at 8PM on 14July in our backyard in Canton, MI. The camera was not handy.

• nettiescorner
    18 years ago

We must be neighbors. I, too saw that moth yesterday in my yard, in Canton. It was near my petunias yesterday evening. I first thought it was a hummingbird. My mother-in-law insisted it was a baby hummingbird. But, hummingbirds do not have antenna. I got a pretty good look at it. It stayed around for a while and nearly hit me in the head. It was close enough to my ear to hear it buzzing. It sounded like a hummingbird, but, didn't quite move quick enough though. WOW. Nature is fantastic. I never knew that they existed.

• dmilligan
    18 years ago

I saw what I think was one of these yesterday (7/17/2005) in the flower garden. It was hanging around the buttefly bush.

I managed to catch him on the digital camera.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moth

• Kaeljia
    18 years ago

Does anyone know how long they live? I mean it looks so much like a hummingbird, it actually has a large body. Hard to think it could only live one season.
    This is a good site for any ID for strange insects to be indentified. Hope it helps. The name is well harsh, but the information is very good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pest Control Canada

• User
    18 years ago

Great little "bug". And yes, Nature sure is grand! These guys love my butterfly bushes.

• zzzee_hotmail_com
    15 years ago

It's not a hummingbird moth...still researching...maybe this photo link will help the experts...

Here is a link that might be useful:

• dirtgirl
    15 years ago

judging by the size of the flower next to this creature and by the stiletto-like appendage there, I am guessing what you have here is some kind of bee fly, although I have never seen one that amazing shade of reddish orange before.

anyone else...?

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?