Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
American Kestrel

Posted by selkie 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 07 at 16:43

Thought you might enjoy a picture of this American Kestrel I saw in my driveway the other day. It flew up to the top of the utility pole while being dive-bombed by a swarm of small birds.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: American Kestrel

I love kestrels. They are so beautiful aren't they.

o

love their spunk.
And I know it's an attempt to humanize, but sometimes they appear as if they were flying for the sheer joy of it.

The first animal I ever took to a rehabber was a kestrel. I can only imagine how terrified it must have been when I bent to scoop it up. My mother wouldn't have approved of me having it in the house, so I had to hide it in my room until my grandpa (who understood the situation)could get a hold of his neighbor, who was a certified rehabber, to ask when we could bring it. I kept it in a cat carrier with a cloth over it to darken it, but once the bird cried out in that loud shrill "KEEEE KEEEE KEEEEE!" and Mom came to the top of the stairs and called down to ask what that noise was she'd just heard. I told her it was the radio and she actually bought it, which is no surprise, considering the junk I listened to in high school. As a kid I was always running in and asking for a coffee can with a good tight lid or a jar or something, so by then she should have known better.
Anyway, the kestrel ended up making the rounds of classrooms and nature awareness programs because its wing was permanently damaged.

o

Wow, Dirtgirl, neat story. This was actually the first time I've ever seen one (suburban girl with camping wildlife for experience). I had to look it up to find out what it was! The neighbours must have thought I was cukoo, chasing around with the camera. You're so blessed.

o

Yeah...neighbors. Good thing we don't have any or they would have reported me years ago to the Freak Police.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here