Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need snake id please

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 24, 08 at 16:56

I've been seeing a small snake in the pipe that drains out from our sump pump. The snake could easily crawl back into our house through this pipe so I want to know what it is.

The pipe is about 2 inches across to give you an idea of the size.

I lightened the photos a little, zoomed and cropped so you can see the spots/patches. I couldn't get a profile shot or get close enough to see whether his pupils were round or not. They look round in my photo but I'm not sure that it's very accurate from the angle.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need snake id please

I believe it's a Black rat snake. They eat neither humans nor pets, but rodents, birds and birds eggs, so you are safe!

o

Definitely a Black Rat Snake! They are harmless. No worries.

o

Thank you!
If we were sure he was out, we could put a screen over the pipe, but it's 30+feet long. Are they most likely to be outside at night?

o

Yay, I was right!

You want to make sure the snake is out. They are not nocturnal, so now you may actually have a snake in the house.

Wayne?

o

If I were in that situation, I would fill the pumps container with water to flush him out. then immeadiatly apply a screen before he could get back in. Then set up some type of area in the yard to hold water for his use somewhere els if that is why he goes in there. If he is just looking for shelter then maybe a small wood pile in the back of the yard or something like that.

I spotted my first snake her a few weeks ago. It was a black racer. Been here 5 years and that is all I have seen. I go looking for him every day now but no luck seeing him again. I hope to have better luck once I put in a frog pond!

o

What an adorable little snake! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here