Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nohandle

please help....baby birds hitting window

nohandle
17 years ago

Hi folks, I have a sad story for you....

We have now found two baby birds (by this I mean juvenile of course) dead on our patio. The first one was a baby cardinal that we had been watching grow up in our backyard...so unbelievably sad.

At first we thought it might be the neighbour's cat, but it didn't look maimed in the slightest. Now, just today we found a baby robin, undoubtedly one of the group that we see every day. It was found in almost the exact identical spot as the cardinal and, again, it showed no signs of being attacked. The spot in question is directly below our bedroom window and a about two to three feet away from the house. So, now it seems that there is a very good chance that both flew into the window at a fairly good speed and bounced off.

The worst part is, we just had an old, beat up window replaced not long ago with a new low E window (hence highly reflective). I can't put into words how terrible this makes me feel.

But I don't think adult birds will fly into it as it is only about 4 x 2 feet and surrounded by brick, but baby birds do not have the luxury of experience I guess.

Regardless, we're not sure what to do.

Obviously we could stick things all over the outside of the window, but this really isn't practical considering we replaced the window so we could look out over our backyard.

We're not against hanging something in front during the breeding season, but what will work the best?

Can anyone share a similar experience?

What has worked for you?

Please help, these birds are too beautiful to be seen up close if you know what I mean.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County