Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Birdbath bowl adhesive

Posted by Julie717 OK (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 3, 11 at 17:24

Hello--I've found a ceramic birdbath I really want but I'm concerned about the top getting knocked off and breaking. I have a cat and he never catches birds, but I can see him potentially jumping up there to drink from it. (Although the way the bowl is shaped, I don't think he will because he would probably slide into the water.) I also have dogs that could possibly run into it.

The maker of the birdbath makes a birdbath adhesive that is like a removeable plumber's putty that stays soft. It's expensive though, and I'd have to buy it separately from the bath and pay extra shipping. I'm wondering if the putty adhesive for posters, etc would work. The Loctite brand says it's waterproof and freezeproof, but it's not recommended for outdoor use for some reason. I wouldn't leave it out in freezing weather anyway. Then there is something called Quake Putty for sticking stuff down in earthquakes, RVs, boats, but I'd probably have to order that, too.

Have any of you had this problem, if so, what did you use?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Birdbath bowl adhesive

Question, why a flexible putty, so you can remove it later? You want something that will stick to the birdbath but allow you to take it apart later?

o

Yes, but I'm not totally opposed to the idea of just gluing it on permanently. If I could take it apart it would make it a lot easier to store in the winter and pack when I move.

o

How heavy is the bowl? I am skeptical that a putty product will be able to withstand being hit by a dog or something.

If the surface is not porous, how about trying hot glue. You'll need to buy a heat gun, but if you have one already, you can run it out to the yard. The heat glue can be removed with some rubbing alcohol, assuming the finish on the bird bath isn't affected by alcohol (see video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNNqSXgj6DE

Paul

o

That's a good idea, I didn't even think of using the glue gun.

o

Around here, hot glue would easily get too hot and/or to brittle. I was thinking either some plumber's putty or a bead of silicone caulk.

o

I agree with lascatx, just buy some silicone or acrylic latex caulk at the hardware store and apply in a bead around the bottom of the bird bath top. I would keep the bead close to the edge, so that if/when you want to remove the top, you can insert a blade and slice away the caulking.

I wonder about the ceramic - is it smooth and slippery? If so, it could be difficult for the birds to use the bird bath, because they can't get a grip on a surface that is smooth and slick.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here