Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
any plants to attract bees and that are 8" high or less?

Posted by yippee1999 6/7 NYC (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 17:37

Does anyone know of any full-sun plants that attract bees but that are also 8" high or less, so that they'd work in my windowboxes? (Anything higher would just look odd in a windowbox....)

Otherwise, if I were to put a bee-attracting plant in say a 10-inch pot, are there any you'd recommend that would work in a smallish pot?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: any plants to attract bees and that are 8" high or less?

Marigolds.

o

thanks for your reply. hopefully there will be other suggestions as...I really dislike marigolds. ;-( I tend to like flowers that are more wild looking and delicate...and my overall color scheme in my garden is shades of green, yellow/green, yellow, blues and purples...

Thanks!

o

Lavender
Sedum
Crocus
Bluebell
Hellebore
Forget-me-not
Pulmonaria

Depending on the variant.

o

Sweet alyssum. I really can't think of any others that are 8" or less.

o

Sweet william (upright)
pincushion flower (cascading)
dwarf daylilies maybe Stella D'oro? (cascading)

o

Clover?

o

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 22:36

Some cultivars of Rose vervain (Glandularia canadensis) grow quite low. I have some in my beds and they are no taller than 12", creeping along the ground.

o

There are a number of plants that grow more then 8" high but can be trimmed to that height without preventing them from producing flowers. Clover, Purple Prairie Clover, Echinacia/Purple Cone Flower.

o

I just planted a new one from the nursery last week - Gallardia "Arizona Apricot". It is a low growing compact yellow daisy with a fat Gallardia center. The bees love it! I'm collecting seed so I can grow it next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here