Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Berries birds don't eat

Posted by terryr z5a IL (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 5, 07 at 17:52

After reading the thread "will birds eat these berries", it made me wonder about what berry producing shrub or tree that birds don't like. I of course want berries that birds will eat, so I'm wondering what berries the birds don't eat.

Anybody?

Terry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Berries birds don't eat

I have several nandina bushes that were here when we bought the house. The birds never touch the berries, but they still sprout up every where.

o

Terry,

This post isn't about berries the birds won't eat at all, but I know I read somewhere that it's good to have berries which are edible to the birds, but not their favorites, so there's something for them in the winter if needed. I've heard Aronia (chokeberry) mentioned as a plant like this.

Lori

o

I think it does depend on ones yard. I know I heard that birds will not eat Aronia unless there is nothing else but around here the birds scarf up the black Aronia berries as soon as they get ripe. And its not as if there aren't lots of other fruiting shrubs for them to pick from. Now the red Aronia is never eaten except in winter as a last resort.

o

I believe it's the red Aronia I have (which I also think the Latin name has been changed). I bought it because I read that they eat the red one and not the black. Mine has yet to bloom, just bought this spring at a native sale with not much to it, so I can't comment on the fragrance. But I went to another native sale that had the black ones and they smelled heavenly. And of course I went on a day that was for pick-up only. Since it was about a 2 hour drive, no way was I going back the next to buy myself one!

I guess I should of worded my initial post differently and added in what berries do you find that your birds don't eat, but you have knowledge that they eat them somewhere else or something to that effect...because as Rita pointed out, there are berries that maybe the birds in my back yard won't eat, but they eat them in somebody else's.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here