Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about American Hazelnut

Posted by Too_Many_Pets LI Z7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 21, 05 at 18:17

Does anyone know if Corylus Americanus(sp?) needs two shrubs to set fruit? I read two totally different things. THANKS!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about American Hazelnut

I have one at the end of my lane.I only have 1.It gives nuts.

o

Great!

o

It's definitely dioecious. But as with most shrubs, it will take a couple of years before it fruits.

o

Do they really grow 15' or even 18' tall? I want them to grow tall.

o

They do grow that tall. They will also grow tree like if you remove all of the suckers. They provide a very dense shade.

o

C.americana is monoecious - both male and female flowers on the same plant, but for the most part, they're not considered to be self-fertile - you really need two different plants to get reliable nut crops. Bulldinkie may have a clump that's actually more than one plant, or there's another one nearby, if she's getting well-filled nuts.(Be aware that they're tiny - the nutmeat in a big one may only be about the size of a (small)green pea, enclosed inside a fairly thick nutshell, and you'll have to beat the local squirrels to them.)
They grow wild on the farm here - I've never seen one more than 8-10 ft tall, max; most are smaller. Multistemmed shrubs - yes, I suppose you could force it to be a single trunk, but you'd be forever cutting back new suckers at the base.
If you want a single-trunk small-medium tree, look at C.colurna.

o

They are obligate outbreeders, meaning they require another plant's pollen to fertilize their flowers. Bulldinkie's shrub was likely pollinated by a nearby plant, as the pollen is wind-dispersed and can travel great distances in the right conditions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here