Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reg_pnw7

Bats flying into things?

reg_pnw7
18 years ago

Hopefully someone here will know something beyond the basic info on bats. I'm visiting my aunt in upstate NY and she gets bats in the house. At first I thought no problem, they don't fly into things so nothing to worry about. But I was sitting up reading in a large room where the bats get into and saw one fly into a hanging plant and fall to the floor and start to crawl around and squeak.

Why do bats fly into things when they have sonar? I also heard one fly repeatedly into the wall.

Once on the floor can't they get airborn again? there were 4 bats involved in this incident and I didn't see one manage to take flight once on the floor. I caught three and threw them into the trees outside the door, but I distinctly heard two of them fall through all the branches and land on the ground, where I'm sure the cats got them. One seemed nearly dead anyway, I think it had been inside for at least two nights without food, but one at least was still in good shape and should have been able to take flight.

When I turn on the lights the bats stop flying and settle on whatever's closest. Surely light doesn't interfere with their sonar?

According to Bat Conservation it's mainly lost juveniles that get into houses but June seems too soon for young ones to be flying in upstate NY, and 4 at once seems like a lot of bats!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler