Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's living in my mulch?

Posted by bobkat13 z7 Richmond VA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 29, 05 at 21:25

Does anyone know what kind of critter, or bug, likes to make holes about an inch across down into the mulch on top of new lasagna beds? Obviously, since they're new, they're easy diggin'.....I would be thrilled if I had toads (haven't seen any though). I have noticed lots and lots of dragonfiles - do they burrow in?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's living in my mulch?

I'm thinking mice or voles.

o

This is not good, is it?

o

I'm not familiar with voles, but I think they eat alot of roots. I have problems with mice eating my seed before it's even sprouted. If you don't see damage anywhere, I wouldn't worry about it. Do you have a cat you could encourage to spend more time in your garden??

o

I blame all those holes on squirrels. I know I have voles, but very rarely see them come above ground. Lots of chipmunks in previous years, but haven't seen a single one this year.

o

Bobkat,
do you think the squirrels are burying nuts?, or is it a more perfect hole?

o

I have not seen a squirrel, nor heard one chattering away in over two years here! My powers of observations aren't the greatest, but yathink I woulda noticed at least one of them? I just saw a hummingbird this morning for a brief period. I see other birds, have lots of dragonflys and spiders and ladybugs, bees, little lizards and so forth. The two holes tht I can now find are 2" x 1-1/4".

o

Hi Bob,
How about chipmunks?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here