Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In general, how long before I see the 'FRUITS' of my labor?

Posted by Too_Many_Pets LI Z7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 22, 05 at 21:28

This is the third year that I'm adding plantings that will hopefully attract more birds and wildlife to my property. 2 summers ago I planted a Serviceberry-Amelanchier "Brilliantissima" I believe. It does flower, but no fuit yet. Last summer I planted a few Viburnum and Roundleaf Dogwood. I also planted a Black Cherry tree, and 2 tiny Red Mulberry seedlings. I just put an American Hazelnut in the ground. Will I be able to see birds feasting anytime soon, in your experience. THANKS!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In general, how long before I see the 'FRUITS' of my labor?

TMP: I have serviceberries this year on plants that I put in last year. One is a running serviceberry and it is loaded with berries. I have other viburnums that had a few berries last year and they were planted the year before. I think they were fairly large plants to begin with. On all the newer plants that started much smaller, I'm seeing some flowering and a few berries the second year around. I don't have much experience beyond that. Someone mentioned 7 years to a nice border.

o
RE: In general, how long before I see the 'FRUITS' of my labor?

Species differ. Prunus species (chokecherries, black cherries) fruit relatively soon, viburnums relatively late, dogwoods somewhere in between. Pretty much everything blooms within three or four years; most plants fruit very sparsely if at all the first year they bloom but heavier thereafter. It also depends, of course, on the amount of sun, the weather, etc. I started with vary small bareroot plants, and I found that it was 5 years to something that looked like a mature thicket, with lots of fruit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here