Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anna_lisa_gw

chipmonks

anna_lisa
17 years ago

Hi I let these chipmonks run around my garden and i did not mind at frist until now. Today they dug up my cally lily and chew it to bits and also they are in my pots and digging holes this is making me mad. How can i get rid of them. Anna

Comments (8)

• ericwi
    17 years ago

Freshly planted bulbs seem to attract chipmunks. They are often dug up and eaten by chipmunks in my neighborhood. For some reason, established bulbs, that have been in the ground for a year or more, do not attract the chipmunks. You can cover your bulbs with galvanized wire mesh, I think it is about 1/2 inch per square, held down with stakes. If the piece of mesh is square, 6 inches by 6 inches, there would be one stake at each corner. There has to be an opening in the middle for the plant to grow through.

• gardeningfireman
    17 years ago

I bought a small live-trap at Lowe's. They also have them at feed stores. I use that, and relocate them about a mile or so away. If you don't have a soft spot for them(they are so cute!), you can use a snap-type rat trap like one of my neighbors does. Summer before last he trapped over 60!! I don't have nearly that many, and the live-trap works great.

• lisa11310
    17 years ago

uummm snap traps dont know what to kill and what NOT to kill. Never put a snap trap out where some other wildlife can be killed.
    Lisa

• anninmd
    17 years ago

Part of wildlife gardening is realizing that it's their land too and accomodating what you grow to that fact. I would never have expected a wildlife gardening forum to promote ways to kill wildlife. You can put out nuts or sunflower seeds for them to eat, so they stay away from your plants. Or just avoid growing plants that they like. Also, I thought chipmunks were territorial, so I don't understand how anyone could have 60 chipmunks on their property (unless that property is very very large).

• skyblue
    16 years ago

i see lots of holes dug under my shed.ihave refrained from putting bird seed out for the last 2 weeks but the littl buggers are still around.. and the rabbits as well. the squirrels wont be back until they see bird seed. but those darn chip monmks....ar-h-h-hg

• Elly_NJ
    16 years ago

It is illegal in many states to live trap and relocate mammals. That is because in doing so you are taking mommas away from nursing babies, thereby killing entire families. Also, relocated mammals are thrown into territories that are not their own, and they do not know food sources and are harassed by the other competing species of their own kind. They often die, so it is not a humane solution.

Here is a link that might be useful: Info on chipmunks

• eibren
    16 years ago

Plants in pots can be protected by mulching them with stones approximating the size of a chipmunk, or a bit smaller. Pea gravel sometimes seems to work, too, and herbs like it.

If there are cats around, your chipmunk population should not grow too large. I have a little colony of them out near my new path at the rear of my property, where extensive trimming was recently done by the electric company. I have a drainage problem back there due to a neighbor's unplanted bank edging part of my property, so I am actively encouraging their presence. I think their tunneling activities will be helpful.

They love sunflower seeds, and will climb an enormous sunflower to chop down the seeds. If you plant a few sunflowers, that may draw their attention away from your other plants.

• knottyceltic
    16 years ago

Are these Buddhist chipMONKS?
    Sorry, just couldn't help myself ;o)