Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hannah_gw

music to my ears...

hannah
18 years ago

It's 10:01 pm...and I'm sitting here listening to 'my' resident fox screaming as he/she travels its favorite path through my yard and the surrounding neighbors...a regular nightly occurrence.

I'm really going to miss him/her when we move away.

Comments (5)

• cantstopgardening
    18 years ago

Cool!! Why does the fox scream though??

• sharpshin
    18 years ago

foxes are generally silent stalkers, but occasionally yip or growl. if you are hearing "screaming" in the night, it is probably mating raccoons.

• hannah
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Nope...not Raccoons...I watch the Fox come up the road, cross through my yard and head to the woods behind me.
    He or she follows the same route each time.

I once watched it chase down and catch a squirrel out back...man!...they can sprint! LOL

When Fox make the sounds that I hear, it is thought to be an alert.

• dirtgirl
    18 years ago

Foxes do have a high-pitched scream-like bark, and we had one that seemed to like to do the same thing, Hannah. Around midnight or so it would take up a spot across the road and do its shrill call for quite a while. It would make the hair on your neck prickle until you got used to hearing it. I always wondered what message it was trying to get across, but since we have several foxes in the area I guess it was just sending out a "here I am" or something similar.
    We had another fox episode at the farm not long ago. A vixen raised three kits under an old coop and the youngsters got bolder and bolder as they got bigger and slowly began expanding their play area and venturing out away from the safety of the coop. One night after we had come in from planting we heard a commotion going on in the woods just north of the coop, and as we walked towards my in-law's house and I could hear better, I decided it was the foxes. I realized what must have happened right about the time the vapors hit us. Skunk. Fresh, thick, not-too-happy skunk. You could taste it. Those three kits must have gotten into it with a skunk and now they were out there squalling and miserable. It was the same high-pitched fox bark, only in threes and this time with a much more urgent tone, like a puppy that just got its tail shut in a door and hasn't gotten over the shock yet. As we started down the drive towards our own home a large skunk waddled out of the fescue next to the shed and Brad had to jerk the wheel and do a bit of skidding to avoid hitting it, although I wondered if it was the same one that had just sauced the foxes and whether they could recharge that fast. Wouldn't have made much difference anyway, because the two of us had just walked right through all that skunk fallout in the yard and I don't think extra stench would have mattered. The whole way home I kept belching sulphur matchsticks.
    Don't blame those kits for crying!

• hannah
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LOL dirtgirl!!!
    We also have a resident skunk...and of course we call'm Pepe...LOL
    We think he's in love with our kitty, Scooter-Pie...she looks alot like a skunk...LOL...'cept she's got a pretty face!
    She's been sprayed twice in the last 4 years.
    The last time, we didn't realize it until she jumped up on our bed at bedtime...PHEW!!!!!!!!
    You never saw 2 people jump outta bed so fast!!!!!! LOL
    Poor Scooter just sat there looking at us like, "What'd I doooooooooooo???!!!????"
    Hehehehehe!!!
    Not much fun to have to strip the bed linens and put on fresh when all ya really wanna do is go to sleep.

And the kits!!!! Aren't they just the cutest little thangs?!!? They look like liddle puppies!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting