Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Don't want to feed the sparrows

Posted by betula 7MD (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 13, 07 at 22:52

Is there some kind of sunflower seed feeder that wont allow sparrows to feed? This may sound like a silly question. I am tired of huge flocks of sparrows gobbliing up all the sunflower seeds before the native songbirds get a chance to eat anything. The sparrows also used to eat all the thistle seed as well before I purchased an upside down thistle feeder which works very well, because the sparrows cant feed upside down. I've stopped filling my sunflower seed feeder, because it seems like I'm feeding nothing but hordes of marauding sparrows. Has anyone seen an upside down sunflower seed feeder, for instance?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Don't want to feed the sparrows

I don't know of any. I have heard of a product called Magic Halo that is supposed to work, but I have not used it. You may want to google that up.

o

You can buy another upside down thistle feeder and drill the feeder holes larger for them to get the sunflower seeds out. Great for the acrobats such as Chickadees and titmice. It works!

alan

o

Just tie some fishing line to your feeders. This should help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Using fishing line on a feeder

o

Thanks to all. I'm going to try out your solutions

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here