Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scotsman_gw

Winterberry Cultivars?

scotsman
17 years ago

I'm in a dilema and I need some help...remember these are for the birds...hopefully new ones that we don't have yet.

I have a 20+ ft. x 6 wide bed right infront/against my house which has a bay window located almost halfway. I would like to get some berry shrubs planted there an I am thinking about winterberries. Just some more background...the bay window is about 3.5 ft above the soil surface. I am looking into Cacapon, Red Sprite and Winter Red. I've heard that Winter Red is really good in berry production..etc. Red Sprite would be good below the bay window...but my dilema is that those two require two different pollinators. It would require me to spend another $30 to get another male. I was hoping to get away with only 1 male and put it about 10-15 yards away. As for Cacapon....it's berries are located at the tips of the branches whereas the other two have berries along the whole branch...new growth that is. Is there a way to help the Cacapon be more rounded? and to maybe have longer branch growth to produce more berries? Any thoughts or ideas would be great...or if you think some other berry shrubs would be better. I am trying to get different birds around...we already have jays, chickadees, cardinals, red-bellied woodpeckers, downy woodpeckers, nuthatches, catbirds....would anything else work for a shrub right outside a bay window? Thanks!!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional