Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
succession of berries list

Posted by cydonia33 Philly 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 17, 06 at 2:03

I am a novice wildlife gardener in the city of Philadelphia (I am about 10 minutes from downtown, and have lived here almost 3 years). I have many shrubs with berries (although many of them have not flowered yet)... I would like to have a year-round habitat for birds... Can a few of you list the successsion of "berrying" times for various shrubs from spring through winter so that maybe I can fill in the gaps of what I have planted thus far? Besides, I think it would be useful for other newbies striving towards a year-round bird paradise to get a month-to-month berrying chronology... ! Thanks.

Jenny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: succession of berries list

Well, here's an attempt, from memory:

Serviceberry
Red-berried elder
Mulberries
Raspberries
American elderberry
Wild Black cherry
Crabapples
Mountain ash
Viburnum
Winterberry
Pyracantha
Juniper

Here in zone 6, i'd say the berry season starts in June, and lasts til February the following year, although highbush cranberries, junipers, etc may have berries til well in the spring. Variety is good - some crabapples might ripen early fall, others may last the whole winter. Same for viburnums.

I tried to list a link for a book, where the author (Andre Dion) charted the flowering and ripening times for fruiting shrubs/trees. That would be an interesting project to take notes on, when fruits are available, which birds consume what, etc. I've learned alot from watching birds and noticing what plants attract them, as they probably don't read books.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Garden of Birds

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here