Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elaine_nj6

chokecherry bonanza; wrens

Elaine_NJ6
18 years ago

We've got an abundance of chokecherries this year, and the excitement among the various bird populations is unbelievable. As the fruit ripens on each tree, there's a continual procession of birds to that destination throughout the day--robin, catbird, sparrows, robin, robin, catbird, catbird, catbird, mockingbird, sparrow, sparrow, robin . . . Sometimes three and four birds at a time are in the same tree, all squawking their heads off. They missed a lower branch that's hidden by other folidage from above, but I just saw a robin finding it. The raspberries are also ripe, but those seem to be more of a dessert--main focus is on chokecherries right now, next month it will be shrub viburnums and then elderberries.

The other thing I have to report is my first sighting of wrens in my yard. For a couple of days last week, the noise was unbelievable, as was the swooping around. I did some reading and found that the very noisy male was probably claiming territory to establish his second nest of the season.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting