Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdk822

too many yellow jackets at hummingbird feeders

sdk822
17 years ago

How can I deter all the yellow jackets? My hummingbirds don't want to eat when all of the bees are there. I make my own sugar/water solution. Is there an alternative that won't attract the bees? Thanks.

Comments (8)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

I fear not, when you have a yellow jacket nest in fairly close proximity. They would probably come to the feeder even if you just had water in it. I've not found a model with bee guards that are truly effective at keeping them away. Perhaps someone else has a great solution.

Don't forget that YJs get more aggressive towards the end of summer.

• nohandle
    17 years ago

I've been told that mint extract rubbed around the feeding ports will deter yellow jackets.
    It's toxic to wasps, but won't harm the birds.

• lh_midtn
    17 years ago

I read that bees are attracted to yellow, so if you have yellow "flowers" around the holes, try painting them red.
    Not sure if that applies to yellow jackets...

• sharpshin
    17 years ago

bee guards are essential -- without them i tend to have a swarm of wasps (and not only yellow jackets). they prevent wasps from reaching the reservoir of nectar as their proboscus (sp?) isn't long enough.

my feeders hang just outside the screens of my porch. i have an arsenal of waterpistols, and shoot at the wasps right through the screen. if you're going to annoy me, i'm going to annoy you. they often find it so irritating that they leave.

• Connie Finley
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I've tried many things and many of the suggestions,,one man that has a hundred hummingbird feeders says he has rubbed tea tree oil on the tips well that didn't help at all matter of fact it seemed like the yellow jacket start climbing into the nectar through the hole. One man said reducing the amount of sugar. So I'm going to try that but right now ,so I took my hummingbird feeder down because some have said that yellow jackets have a short memory. Some have suggested moving the hummingbird feeder to a different location I haven't tried that one yet because I want to be able to see the hummingbirds.. but mine don't start being overtaken until August. I've read it's because the yellow jackets are done with the work they have to do so then they have more time to do other things like annoy hummingbirds,,and I've also read that one Sting from a yellow jacket can kill a hummingbird. 😢so I'm definitely going to buy a hummingbird feeder that has be guards on it because my whole on my hummingbird feeder is big enough for them to climb right in and contaminate the nectar

• Connie Finley
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I took the hummingbird feeder down yesterday and today they are still flying around the same location where the feet are used to be. I was even using a small hand vacuum to vacuum up the yellow jackets every time they went near the theater and I was able to catch some of them

• bellarosa
    3 years ago

I had the same issue this year and I found something that worked wonderfully! It's a glass wasp catcher. I actually bought it years ago and forgot about it. I'm sure that you can find them anywhere - Amazon for sure. I don't think it even needs to be glass. It's shaped like a bell with a cork on the top and an opening on the bottom. Just fill it with sugar water, the wasps go in and can't figure out how to get out. I caught 5 wasps the first day! Finally something that works!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!