Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tobacco Hornworms

Posted by Mrscahall 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 10:17

I found two of these guys in my bushes last weekend, one was roughly 4 inches and the other was roughly 3 inches. My two kids were extremely interested in them and after looking on the internet and determining that they were not dangerous, we captured them. I looked more information up on them and came to the conclusion they were tobacco hornworms, I am not sure if this correct after seeing that my little guys have green horns. I thought they burrowed underground so we added dirt to the tank. The largest one went into the ground the next day (this was roughly 3 or so days ago). I decided to check on him and discovered he is still a caterpillar, I thought he would have gone into a cocoon by now. A startling thing though is the smaller one did the craziest thing. He shrank! No joke, he went from 3 inches long to the size of a normal caterpillar. How is this possibly? Could anyone help me? Also why did the larger one burrow and not shrink?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tobacco Hornworms

Did you capture them to raise them? Caterpillars have their own time frame for growth and development and don't (can't) proceed through the steps of metamorphosis on command.

To raise them, they must be provided a clean, well ventilated cage and plenty of fresh clippings from tomato plants. The plants I see in the picture don't look like tomatoes.

Perhaps your captives have starved? You haven't given us enough information about their environment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here