Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellix

found baby turtles - what are they?

ellix
16 years ago

found 2 in my pond and the others on land but near the pond. Can anyone id them for me? Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (17)

• Elly_NJ
    16 years ago

They are wild turtles that belong back in the wid, not in your house. Taking them out of nature is cruel, and should not be your decision. They should be free.

• juniper01
    16 years ago

DITTO!! Put those poor turtles back where they belong!

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

I don't know what they are, but at the link below, you can mouse over the names of each for a photo. That might help you narrow it down.

Here is a link that might be useful: Turtles of SC and Georgia

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

Here's another site that might help you identify them.
    Let us know what you find out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Turtles: What Kind?

• ellix
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have no intentions of keeping these turtles. Very early in the spring I planted a tree and dug up several baby yellow sliders. It was too cold to just put them in my pond so I kept them indoors till it got warmer and they got big enough that my large bull frogs and birds would not be able to eat them not to mention the racoons that has been coming around. Yes I researched and found what type of set up they would need and they all thrived and I released them into my pond. I feed them every day as well as they have plenty of other food they get on their own. Now I have found two more types. These are way too small to be left on their own and I want to do the same for them. I want to know what they are so I can give them the care they need. I have read that one in 99 make it out their on their own and I do not feel bad at all for giving them a fighting chance at living.
    Christie, thanks for the sites you sent, I have been on many sites but one of them was new to me and I will spend time trying to find these guys. Babies seem to look very different than adults and even for the short time I have had them the yellow spots on the backs of the 4 have appeared.

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

I didn't notice at first that those are BABY carrots and assumed the turtles were larger. They must be less than two inches! How lucky you are to find babies. Sounds like you've done a good job creating a habitat for them.

• ellix
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes very small turtles and I have had them a couple weeks or so. The two smallest ones were found in my water garden-was I excited. But they are about the size of a quarter and I have frogs that could swallow them whole. The other 4 are I think land turtles but they spend a lot of time in the water. These are the ones I want to know about. They have been developing the yellow along their back. I read that there is one type that spends a lot of time both in the water and on land. I take them out in a small container to sun but their home is 3'x2' with all the nec. things that would help them thrive. You should see the yellow sliders in my pond-when they see me come to feed they all swim quickly to be fed. They can always go down (about) 100 ft to a very large pond but they seem to be very happy. Sending a pic. of them on the lily pads.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• bulldinkie
    16 years ago

I think at times humans can help I did once and Im glad I did .It was interesting.Thanks for helping the turtles.For caring.

• brianstreehouse
    16 years ago

From your photo and location, I would guess that these are box turtles. They could be either eastern or gulf coast depending on what is in your area. I know you have fine intentions. I do, however, encourage you to release them where you found them. No pre start program for box turtles has had great success. During this period of life, they are establishing territory and learning about the area and where to find food, water, and winter shelter. Mamma thought the area she chose was good for them. Release them there, please, very early in the day near shelter. Even experienced care givers find that young turtles are a challenge to keep alive, yet alone thrive. They grow very slowly as compared to water species and may not be more than a mouthful for over five years. In addition, it may be against your state laws to keep them without a license. It is here in my home in Indiana (and many other states). I do not wish to "flame" you, but really, truly, you are not helping them by keeping them.

More info at indianaturtlecare.com see conservation pages and box turtle pages.

Please, return them to the wild for the best chance at saving them.

Brian

• ellix
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brian, I do want what is best for these turtles. I wish I could see the markings that are on these baby turtles on the box turtles I see on the net somewhere. Are you sure they are Box turtles? Could they be the type that lives both in the water and on land? I have them in a good sized area and the stay in the water a lot of the time. I also found them within 10 feet of my pond but they were on land. If they are land turtles and what you say about growing so slowly then I agree it would be best to to put them where I found them. I would like to create an area there so the racoon family are not able to dine on them. I have blackberries growing there and can put strawberries to. Can you or anyone else suggest other plants? I will place logs rocks etc. and if you have any other suggestions? I really want these guys to make it.
    The other two I know are water turtles as I got them from my pond. They are not the yellow sliders and are so tiny. I think they will have to stay indoors till next spring since they would not have time to adjust to the climate if they got big enough to put in the pond over the next couple of months. None of them are afraid of me and actually come to me when I walk by thinking food is comeing. I just want them to get bigger before I release them. THanks for your help I am checking out the site you sent along.

• Elly_NJ
    16 years ago

The suggestion was not to keep them but to release them. That is the best thing to do for them.

• dirtgirl
    16 years ago

the one at 12 o'clock sharp reminded me at first of a stinkpot, but only initially.

I'm sure you only want the best for these little cuties...that means making a go of it, in their natural environment, and come what may. It's tough, but it's right.

• ellix
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brian, that is a wonderful site on box turtles, I did see them there. There is a photo together of a 6 month ond a year old and a two year old. Three of these guys are a year old and the third could be and just has't got the yellow coloring yet since I had him inside this past month. Hard to believe they are so old for their size.

I am planning on releasing them very soon. I hurt their habitant by pulling out weeds in the area I found them. I did have wild blackberries and was trying to get rid them too. It's hard to get rid of that so at least it is coming back, I already did have a tomato plant and some parsely and my blackberry plants there. I've added several strawberry plants, another tomato plant (as I have found they love them). I'm reading on the site about foods they like and would like any suggestions for plant life they eat.

I am going to dig out some holes for them, add more leaf matter and some logs for shelter and a shallow body of water ( will keep it clean). Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I think tomorrow mornning will be their day.

Dirtgirl, I think you are right. The musk turtle/stinkpot seems to describe them well. I found them in my garden pond and am sure I must have seen an adult once. Actually only the head of it, and it was very different than my sliders. She came to my pond on her and must have liked it. I found these two guys in one of my bog areas. I guess I will have to put up the 'leaf' net early this year so I can privide them protection.

Thanks everyone for helping me to understand by your info and sites you sent me to. Education is the way to understanding. For these two types of turtles anyway I see they really need to grow up in their own enviroment.

The yellow sliders though did great and are living happily in my pond. It only took a couple of months to get them to the size they could have a chance at life on their own.

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

I have four kids and let them bring home a box turtle or two every summer that we rescue from the road. They know they have a three day max to keep them. It's our long-standing rule for anything they catch. We return them sooner sometimes and always back to the same area. We have gotten them to eat strawberries, mulberries, cantaloupe and of course earth worms. I've found if you put an earthworm in a very shallow dish of water, it squirms around more and catches the turtles attention better. I get more satisfaction if I sacrifice a grub rather than an earthworm.

For their habitat outside, they might appreciate loose leafy soil to dig in.

I know bringing turtles home isn't ABSOLUTELY the best thing for them but they'll survive and I'm trying to create four little nature lovers that will appreciate and care for wildlife and their environment in the future. The hands-on approach is a very effective way to learn. I think it's a good investment. They'll remember what they learned so much better that way and they also develop more affection for them since they "owned" them for awhile. So if you look at things with a wider perspective and a little wisdom, you'll see that NEVER keeping wildlife is not a perfect choice either.

• Elly_NJ
    16 years ago

When you take home a box turtle and then release it, it will head back to where it was born to breed. So you are distrupting its life and probably killing it (making it cross roads to head back to its natal home).

• ellix
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Christie, with so many kids out there hurting animals, I am glad to see someone teaching children to respect and care for wildlife. Usually that's all it takes to appreciate other forms of life. I grew up the same way and taught my daughter the same.
    I created two homes with a large flat rock on top and filled it with leaves near a 20 inch wide shallow pond with rocks to help them climb out. Planted more tomato plants and found some type of tree like shrub that has tons of berries. Will check it out to see if they eat them. I found some dandilions and planted them there too. I put tons of leaves around for cover and will supplement with food for a while. They seem fine. The musk turtles went back to my pond as well. They will be fed twice daily as the others are. One of them had such personality. I am going to miss him.
    I'm glad you take the box turtles back where you found them after a few days. I didn't know you had to do that until about a year ago and brought them home and put them in the yard. Now I help them cross the road.

• HU-927770827
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Anyone know what kind of baby turtle this is