Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Hummingbird feeder for kids garden

Posted by tumblingtomatoes fl ,space coast (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 23, 10 at 12:26

Hi all, I recently posted about what flowers to plant & am also going to add a hummingbrid feeder to a tree in the yard near the flowers but I see soo many types I need some suggestions.

I wound up getting a plastic type from walmart but was wondering what the best types are & also not to spend too much money in the beginning.

thanks for the suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Hummingbird feeder for kids garden

I don't know that there is a 'best' feeder. I've always used a smallish glass and plastic model made by Perky Pet. It hold about 8 ounces, I think, and has 4 feeding stations (shaped like flowers). All of the pieces come apart easily for convenient cleaning and soaking. I choose the model with the little perches at each port.

I prefer the smaller glass feeders because I think that the glass is easier to keep clean and the smaller size insures that the sugar water gets changed often. These feeders are very long lasting and inexpensive. You've probably seen them at Wal-Mart or other similar location.

Another purchase you might want to think about is an ant guard. Ants are an on going issue with me. Perhaps some others have some suggestions about that.

Make your own sugar water by bringing one part sugar to four parts water to a boil, then cooling.

o

two things. Never use honey to make up the sugar water solutions and don't worry about any gnats swarming at the feeder. Hummingbirds use the gnats as a protein source.

o

Thanks for the info & tip not to use honey! I have a simple plastic feeder by First Nature from walmart-filled it last night w/ the sugar water recipe & hung it up. Now we wait & see if any come visit. :)

o

Tanglefoot may help block ants from your feeder if it is suspended by something that only has one direction of access. It's basically a thick grease that you smear on, say, a pole that your feeder is suspended from. The ants can't cross the tanglefoot because they get bogged down in it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here