Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellowbelle

Using squirrel houses (hawks & foxes go after squirrels, etc.)

bellowbelle
15 years ago

Has anyone had experience using squirrel houses? I just got two and I want to put them up, but I'm wondering if they will just make it easier for redtail hawks to prey upon the young squirrels.

I've thought that I could maybe cover them with some natural-looking stuff (like, fake evergreen that would make it through the winter), if that would help.

The hawks and foxes don't always make their mark -- I manage to feed the critters in spots where they can run quickly if they need to. Also, we get a lot of help from the crows, who loudly proclaim the presence of an intruder.

Also -- must the boxes be up VERY high? I have a spot that's about 6 or 7 feet off the ground where I'd like to put one. Maybe they'd use it for seed storage but would go higher to nest and sleep.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coveside Squirrel House

Comments (6)

• ms_minnamouse
    15 years ago

Why would you want to starve the hawks and foxes of their natural food source??

• ms_minnamouse
    15 years ago

Lol. I have a little mouse that moved into a large bird house I constructed for owls. It's a mouse mansion. I peaked in there today to see what has taken up residence and there the little guy was, sitting there looking up at me as calm as can be.

• lisa11310
    15 years ago

I was afraid Owls would move into this box...and may still come winter. Then my little squirrel buddy may not be so lucky. I had a Screech Owl take my little Downie Woodpeckers right out of Blue Bird box they were roosting in last winter :( I know they gotta eat too but I would rather they not dine in my yard.

• davek913
    15 years ago

We have three squirrel houses in 3 different trees and the only critters we've seen giving the squirrels any grief are raccoons. The first one I built is designed differently than yours, with a roof that overhangs the front. One time a raccoon hung over the front and managed to reach in and get a hold of one, although he didn't get it. I promptly put a little rail on top to block them. We've had Cooper's hawks come through and stalk them but never seen one try and get in one of the houses. No foxes around here, so I can't say.

It's not as easy for a larger predatory bird to get at them in the box. Some boxes have ledges installed underneath the hole on the inside to keep other predators from reaching them.

6-7 feet is kind of low. The general recommendation is at least 15 feet although some say 10 is enough. Mine are about 15, 20 and 25 feet up. The one has been up for 8 years and I put two more made from tires up last year. What can I say? I found a plan, was curious and had an old tire. I almost laughed when I saw them moving in last fall. ("SOB! They work!")

When you hang them, give them some kind of nesting material to get them started. I put dry crushed or mulched leaves in ours, about 1/3 filled.

One caveat about your box. Even being one inch thick, pine will rot over time, especially the floor. Even though it has a hole for drainage, water will collect in there from time to time. I made mine of cedar and it's held up well, but I can see I'll have to replace the floor or build a new one before long.

I got the idea for the tire ones from a guy who sells them online.(Not myself) They hang from hooks and he sells them with a rope and attachment to fling it over a limb. I also found a plan for a different style house made from a tire. They seemed to like them just fine.

• bellowbelle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the good input and info, everyone!

After pondering the whole situation a bit, today I finally nailed up just one of the boxes. I'll wait to put up the other one, maybe up high, next time.

I put this one down low -- only about 5-6 feet off the ground, to clear snowfall in the winter. (I have to shovel-out that area, anyway, for the oil man.)

It's situated so that I can see it from a window, and so that hawks/owls/etc. will have a very difficult time either seeing or attacking the box. Foxes... well, the ones we have are usually just passing through.

The hawks ARE quite beautiful -- I love them -- but, they don't nest here, they just pass through on the way to the reservoir, I think. (And try to grab my friends, on the way!)

I know that squirrels will nest high, and not low. But, they will store their food low if it's convenient, then go get it.

I got the squirrel boxes not only for the squirrels but for my own peace of mind. This past winter, something(s) had tunneled under/into our house and would run around in the walls, but I noticed that they didn't seem to stay there, just showed up to eat, it seemed. I think that the final tenants (who may not have been the first ones) were red squirrels. So, I'm hoping that they'll go for the box and stay out of my house!

We live in a wooded area. It's kind of odd in that it's not 'deep woods' but it can really seem that way.

I don't mind living co-operatively with squirrels and chipmunks and all these little critters, which is fortunate since it's unlikely that they'll move away. But, I do need my walls and wiring. That's why I give them lots of bird seed!