Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spotted critter in my yard, looks like chipmunk/squirrell cross

Posted by MojaveLove 5 - IL (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 24, 11 at 13:56

Out of nowhere there are these small critters living in our yard. I don't know what they are. They are a rodent but they are bigger than a chipmunk and smaller than a squirrel and resemble both. Their tail is short and furry but not as fluffy as a squirrel or They are brown and their backs have stripes the length of the body and spots too. They live in the ground. They laying in the shade of one of my pots, they will lay on their stomach and their body is pretty long, about three inches.

I live near forest, prairie and swamp. I feel like I should know what these are but I've lived in the city most of my life and recently moved out to the country. For example I just saw my first red-winged black bird in the last two years. Saw my first house finch the other day.

Should I be concerned about these little guys or will they leave me, my house and my plants alone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spotted critter in my yard, looks like chipmunk/squirrell cro

Actually I am wrong about the length of their tail, it is about the same length as their body.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 24, 11 at 21:01

Maybe this one?

Spermophilus tridecemlineatus

Here is a link that might be useful: thirteen-lined ground squirrel

o

That might be it thanks! I'll have to look into it to make doubly sure, but that is the marking. Thanks again!! Hopefully these are not pests and will just run around being cute.

o

I'd give them major leeway, just for the cuteness factor!

o

They are super cute and pretty funny. They will lay in the shade of the pots on my porch and sprawl out on their stomach, all limbs sticking out. Hilarious. I have read that they can be pretty bad pests but our yard isn't really a yard, it is a prairie and we live in a townhome so we have like, a few random trees and some flowers next to the porch and that's it. My only annoyance is they like to kick up the mulch everywhere.

o

Sounds like ground squirrels. I don't have them currently at this house, i would love to though ;) I had them before and I sure didn't have any problems with them. They were fun to watch, that's for sure!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here